I have a few questions for the community here, as I want to know exactly what these machines can and can not do. Before I get in over my head, I want to know exactly what I'll need, what functionality I can expect, and any suggestions for components & software.
So without further ado, here are my questions:
- Is it legal to record TV shows so long as I'm only using them for home viewing? I have comcast cable at home, and they provide local channels in addition to the standard cable package. Is it possible to have my HTPC function similarly to a DVR, and do it legally?
- Is it possible for an HTPC to have all the features of a DVR? What kind of software do I need to get this sort of functionality?
- Is it possible to use the HTPC as a standard PC at the same time? For example, can I have one video card outputting to an HDTV, and another card outputting to a standard computer monitor SIMULTANEOUSLY? So (for example) someone could be watching TV and recording a show, while another person works on Excel on a different monitor.
- If I have the proper GPU and sound card, is there any loss in picture or audio quality?
- Do I have to buy a special type of DVD to store my movies onto a hard drive? (once again LEGALLY)
Edited by nofun, 03 May 2009 - 01:15 AM.