Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COM1 PORT

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hello, just a quick question. I recently brought a device which connects to a COM1 port. I have this port on my two desktop computers but not on my laptop.

My laptop has a port like looks like it but with 21 holes and not 9 like the COM port. I want to connect this device to the laptop ideally. How can I do it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like the parallel port. Is it purple? What device are you trying to connect to your laptop?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like the parallel port. Is it purple?

The laptop port sounds like a printer port and yes, that would be parallel. But is sounds like a serial port is what is needed here. Note there are no standards for color coding - so a purple port here may be an orange, green, or black port there.

Check out one of these.

Edited by Digerati, 03 May 2009 - 06:20 AM.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
That would work. I'll have to buy one of thoses adapters. I could then connect the 9 Pin connecter to the device (pigeon clock) and then connect the USB end to my laptop.

If you look at this picture.

Posted Image

That is the port it's connecting too. I don't have this port on my laptop, but I do have this port on both my desktop PC'S

Edited by Oddysee, 03 May 2009 - 07:44 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is likely more and more PCs will stop supporting those serial ports too - that's what USB was for.