Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Acer Aspire dreadfully Slow start and program load

• Please log in to reply

steve farmery

steve farmery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok here is the history, Up until i went to uk my Acer Aspire 1350 was reasonably quick and ok. I went to uk and connected to the net, my AVG started to update so i let it, I haven't been on the net with this pc for a year. All seemed ok. I shut down and when I restarted it took nearly 20 mins to boot.. and it takes on average abt 2 mins to open anything, even a word document. It has 256 meg ram, when booted up shows 17 meg left. I have run Hijack this and put it through the logfile alanyser online and removed all nasty stuff (not much really). AVG detects nothing ,, neither does Spybot or Malwearebytes. My harddrive has 6 Gig of free space and i don't habitually install software unless it is absolutely necessary, so not much is on there.

I have defragged the HD and run CC cleaner, my Firewall is Zone alarm, oh and i now cant run Taskmanger either with Ctrl/Alt/Del or right click on the taskbar or even locating the exe file and dbleclicking that.

Running XP service pack 3 with all updates, updates installed whilst in the uk, took all day.!

Thank You

Steve F

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First problem is your ram amount. It's barely enough to support XP
Second GTG does not advise the use of any Registry cleaners due to their potential to do more harm then good.
We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Please download CPUz from my signature below

1: Save it to your desktop.
2: Click on the icon it creates and let it run
3: I need the following information from it.
4: First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
5: Cllick on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
6: Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.

Please include in your next reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try system restore...go back prior to the updates...
rshaffer61is right about the RAM...512 should be considered the minimum and 1 Gig is the sweet spot..
you may want to download the newest version of AVG here and after downloading it uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version...update it and scan your system...malware can keep you from accessing the task manager

Edited by happyrock, 03 May 2009 - 08:52 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you Happyrock, always good to have your assistance. :)

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:
· Click Start and then to All Programs
· Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
· Click on System Restore
· A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
· Then click on Next
· Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
· Then click Next
· On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
· Close all open programs and click Next
· The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
· Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly the please reply back with the results.

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 May 2009 - 07:52 AM.

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi again, Thanks for the fast response... :) ...I tried to system restore but there was no point before the time i went to uk at all.. also . I tried the Crucal online scanner a while ago but it doesn't recognize the type of memory, it tells me to look for the ser number of my laptop and the one on the laptop doesn't agree with the suggestions from Crucial. Since then I tried the Kasperskey online scan and it said my pc was infected with an e-mail worm..so i started the install process from Kasperskey (real pain in the neck) Kaspersky told me to uninstall Spybot, AVG and Zonealarm and Avast.. I uninstalled Avast some 6 months ago!!, so I cleaned the registry out of all remnants of Avast, uninstalled AVG, Spybot and Zonealarm, ran Kaspersky with a result of "no Virus!!"..re booted and now all is as fast as it was before i went to the UK.. :)

Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To make sure you are completely clean I would suggest that you:

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 May 2009 - 11:06 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)