Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Destination Changed Suddenly

• Please log in to reply

mystere213

mystere213

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My external hard drive has always been the located on the F drive. I turned my computer on last weekend and it had switched to the G drive. I didn't disconnect it or switch the cord to a different usb. I've had it for over 2 years and have never had an issue with it. All of my shortcuts are now wrong. Is there a way to switch it back to the F drive?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you plug in a usb flash drive or maybe a camera..how about a new cd drive...or repartition your C: drive

Edited by happyrock, 04 May 2009 - 09:36 AM.

mystere213

mystere213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I probably plugged in a usb flash drive or a camera during that time, but I've done that many times before without the destination changing. I never unplugged the external hard drive and plugged it back in. It's always stayed in the same port. If I connect a camera or flash drive, I plug it into a different usb port.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get me screenshots of my computer and disk management please...

If you would rather not wait..This article describes how to assign, to change, or to remove drive letters on a drive, a partition, or a volume by using the Disk Management snap-in in Microsoft Windows XP.

PLEASE NOTE...Many MS-DOS-based and Microsoft Windows-based programs refer to specific drive letters for environmental or other variables. If you modify the drive letter, these programs may not function correctly....

so with that in mind you can delete the old shortcuts to the drive and create new ones that reflect the new drive letter or go here to see how to change the drive letter....