Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I format an Ubuntu hard drive in Vista?

• Please log in to reply

whiteinsheffield

whiteinsheffield

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The hard drive was my main hard drive for Ubuntu but I upgraded it and got Vista instead. The old hard drive is now in an external enclosure, but because it still has the Linux OS installed it won't recognise the hard drive even though it makes a noise when I plug it in and Computer Manager can see it. Is there anyway of formatting it without using Linux (Linux was unstable on my laptop and kept shutting itself off)

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
You may need to delete the partition on that drive and create a new one in NTFS or FAT32.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=230

See here for information on Vistas built-in partition editor.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
in your disk management you will be able to delete the 3 ubuntu partitions on the external then format to NTFS