Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS XP PROFILE ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
For some reason, just out of the blue, the profile my daughter created for herself stopped showing up when Windows XP started up. This is an old computer. My kids mostly use it for itunes some schoolwork, photos, etc. My daughter created her own profle and it doesn't come up. She is allowed to sign on in a test mode. It did at one time mention something about a corrupt file. Where do I start or what can I do to clean this up? There is very little hard drive left on this-all the itune are on an external hard drive. I tried to start deleting some of her documents and photos, but they don't come up. We have a few other computers in the house, but I hate to give this one up without a fight.

Thanks,

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please post results in next reply

Please download CPUz from my signature below

1: Save it to your desktop.
2: Click on the icon it creates and let it run
3: I need the following information from it.
4: First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
5: Cllick on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
6: Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.

Please include in your next reply

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the fast answer-I don't understand the part about the CPU's and creating an icon from your signature

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Below what I type is my signature with multi colored links. Find the one that says CPUz and click on it. That will take you to the download page to get the program CPUz. Follow the instructions I gave from there in previous post #2.

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Here is the information you requested.
Make-HP
Model_753N Pavilion
Op Sys Windows XP
Age of computer 2002
Hard Drive used space 64.2 GB, free space 5.27

HP system board DDR 513 PC2300 142 MHZ

Now for some reason it keeps closing Internt Explorer so I can't use that as an internet option. Should I just junk the whole thing? If I do, what happens to everything the kids have on there, photos, itunes, etc?

Thank you so much for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Double whammy I see already

Memory is barely enough for XP to run correctly
Hd free space is dangerously low.

Lets start with memory because that is a issue you will need to spend some money to fix.

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Now the hd space:

I'm believeing you can log unto windows on every other profile but hers. Am I correct on that assumption?

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yes, you are correct about the profiles. There are just two on there and hers is the one that has access to the bulk of what is stored on there. I am currently not on that computer, but I will do as you say about the hard drive when I get on it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then lets get started with the nitty gritty of things. Please follow the next steps in order and reply back with the results of each as they finish if you can.

What I would suggest is uninstalling all programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to
Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to restart your computer, if you have the option, restart later if you have more programs to uninstall.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

If this does not work then:

Go to:
Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. {b]Auslogics Defrag[/b] in my opinion is better then the Windows Defrag because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defraging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defraged

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you so much. I will try this and let you know. I have gone through all the programs and uninstalled all that I thought I could, and that didn't seem to make a difference. I will keep you posted!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The uninstalling of the programs and cleanup is to help the hard drive have more space as I stated before.
Once you have finished with all the previous steps then we will start on the login problem

Advertisements

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is where I stand now-
I did www.crucial.com-they recommended 512 more memory-
ATF cleaner done-supposedly freed up more space
Couldn't do the error check-kept saying there were items being used that the error check needed so it would do it at start up next time-not sure if it will-Now I am doing the auslogic defrag-interesting though-there are tons of itunes on the c drive that my kids swear they took off and put on the external hard drive-( yeah right) but they come up under the "owner" which is my daughter who we can't get to log on-vicious circle!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I did www.crucial.com-they recommended 512 more memory-

Did it give you the type of memory? It should have given you the information so we can help you find it.

The Itunes we can work around till you make sure they are put on the external for sure. I will wait till you are done with the Auslogic program and try the system to make sure it is speeding up for you. Then we will start working on the log in for your daughter. I want to get you as close to great as I possibly can. :)

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I went back to check on the defrag, and it was done. It said I increased the speed by 17 % but the computer was not "optimized" It wanted me to click on another program on a AUSLOGIC, but before I could I got kicked off line-so I shut down the computer and booted back up to get the checkdisc going. It has been running for a while and will probably finish during the nite-I will work on this again in the morning.

I will see what kind of memory it wants me to have. Should I also run the other program auslogic wants me to? I know I am really vague here, but I need to sign on the computer first and look at the internet page I was on before I got booted off-or do you have any suggestions? I know I need to move the files from the c to k drive.

Thank you so very much!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No do not run the other program from Auslogics.
We will do that a different way. We will get your files moved also so don't worry about the other program to run. Chkdsk will take awhile to run so no worry there.

jjlbbwil

jjlbbwil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Good Morning-here we go again!

Here is the information on memory. It said I had 512 current memory, can have 512 mb new memory slot available. have DDR PC2300 can have max of 1024 memory.

Also, after the chkdsk it said "windows replaced bad cluster in file 13213 of name\document\owner\ntuser.dat"

It booted up fine but still said there was an issue with the file so I couldn't log on as my daughter.

Thanks!