Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window media Center 2005

• Please log in to reply

mnmk

mnmk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I found an error message, it states "xbios.exe has been corrupted", needs to be reinstalled.

I also ran the memtest and everything failed.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well with memory failing then that answers allot of the problem.

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

mnmk

mnmk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I removed both of the memory chips and replaced them one by one. I found one that works properly and I can boot with the operating system disk. It asks to replace the windows system or to repair existing system. I choose repair and it goes through the motions without a problem. Upon restarting the computer I get an error message, operating system not found.
What does this mean?
Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm me thinks we need to do some deeper checking. Did you use the faulty memory from Post #16 ? If so you may just be getting a corrupt repair installation.
I think we will need to fix this memory issue before we can fix much more. Go Here to see your system specs. I believe from what you are telling me you must have 2x512 megs sticks of memory for a total of 1 gig.
Am I correct on this?
If so then you were repairing Windows with 512 is just barely enough to run it. This may be causing a problem for sure, especially if the memory is questionable.

mnmk

mnmk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I reinstalled both memory chips and now they both are working fine, again.
I did the repair and again get the no operating system error.

Can I retrieve my files off the hard drive? If so, I will just do a complete, fresh install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can backup your files but it will mean you will have to do one of the following:
Remove the drive and put it into a external HD enclosure and then connect it to another system to backup the data you need.
Or you can try Puppy Linux by doing the following:

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.