Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Photo files: how many and how much space?

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
For XP and for W98 systems … What is the best way to determine how many files I have that have photograph extensions (jpg, jpeg, bmp, or similar)? And how can I see how much hard drive space these files are consuming? Can I do that using MyComputer? Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm that's going to be a lot of searching.
You will need to go to
Start and then Search
Click on the line that says "All Files and Folders"
First box named the same you would type in *.bmp
Then click on Search

Be prepared to wait as this will take a while to do. Once done then look at the bootm left of window where it should tell you the total files and how many megs it is.
Repeat for each extension

Now with all that being said, what is the reason for needing to know? Is your system running slow?
Are you having a problem opening the above named extensions?

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Rshaffer61: Many thanks. Yes, my system is running V-E-R-Y slow and I believe that is because I am running out of hard drive space (I seem to have only 2% free, out of some 30GB).
I'd like to know how much space I can free up by deleting many forgotten photos.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25
Download and run ATF Cleaner. This deletes unneeded temp files and cache files, thus freeing up hd space.

If you have a lot of photos, you can delete them to make more space. You could maybe free up 3GB, if you have that many photos.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's do some basic maintenance and see what we can do..
Also please supply the following information to help us out.

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

If this does not work then:

Go to:
Start and then My Computer
Right Click On "C" drive and then click on Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done

In Defragmentation field click Defragment Now

Reboot and let me know how system is running now

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thank you both.

Replying to your directions:

1. I download the Cleaner and applied it.
2. I did the Volume check and went through the three step check with positive results.
3. But the pc is now running slower than ever, very very slow, and it takes minutes (really) to initiate a program like Outlook Express.
4. Here is the other info requested:
Make: Dell
Model: 3000
Memory: 256MB
Hard Drive: 33.8 GB of which 635 MB is free.

Any ideas? Now what?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well first and probably the biggest issue

This is the bottom line of XP. You should really invest in a gig of memory. I can almost guarantee if you do you will see a huge increase in speed.

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

With that being said let's see if we can help you speed up with what you have right now. Please follow the next steps in order and reply back with results after each test is done. Here we go:

What I would suggest is uninstalling all programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to
Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to restart your computer, if you have the option, restart later if you have more programs to uninstall.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. {b]Auslogics Defrag[/b] in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Well first and probably the biggest issue

I agree. You really should get one GB of RAM at least, you are just able to support the OS, let alone any additional programs. I suggest getting as much as your motherboard can accommodate.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
One more thing...
Go to Start -> Run -> cleanmgr
Select the drive you want to clean, and once the process is done a box will come up. Go to the "More Options" tab, and clean up System Restore and Windows Components (just uninstall the components you don't use)
Then delete the temp files, and if you want, compress old files.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
More puzzlement (to me) but maybe this means something to you.

Last night after I made several of the suggested moves my XP pc seemed to be slower than ever, as I reported. But this morning the system seemed to be <better> than before??? FWIW, it was ON all night. Could it be that it hadn't fully booted last night?

I did get a "Virtual storage is too low and system is automatically adding more message this morning..

I will look into adding more RAM, as you suggest ... but would the limitations of the 256MB just show up now? The pc was much faster a year ago, with the same 256MB. Doesn't the only 2% free harddrive space seem more the culprit? That's why I originally asked help in determining how much space I was using for all my photos.

I did try doing a Search for all *.jpeg files and got a raft of them (totaling about 3GB). But I did NOT see the total displayed; i just had to add up the individual files.
Can you please confirm that I should be able to see the total space in the "bottom corner"?"

Finally, FWIW, my Task Manager response is (and has been) bad for a long time. I frequently have trouble forcing a shut down of a non-responsive program.

I certainly welcome your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All of the above can be contributed to the low drive space. Virtual memory shortage is a warning that problems are about to get worse. Compressing a drive as Edge suggests in previous post has never been something I suggest anyone to do. I have found it actually will slow a system down as now the search for files has to spend longer looking for those files in a smaller area.

What I would suggest is uninstalling all programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to
Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to restart your computer, if you have the option, restart later if you have more programs to uninstall.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

When you are done then please run Auslogics Defrag again and see if things are getting better.

The next item I would like to suggest is that you need to think about getting a larger capacity HD as a main drive or as a second drive in the near future. If you go HERE you can look at the Service Manual for your system. It will show you step by step how to add a second drive. This will make it easy then to move some of the data files to the second drive and therefor open up more room on your main drive. This will in turn speed your system up with the extra memory also.

According to the Specs I read on your system you need a drive like HERE or HERE

Be aware that your system only supports ATA-100 and that is why I'm not suggesting anything larger then a 120 gig drive. If you were to increase your Memory and the Second HD added you would most likely see a noticeably fast increase in speed.

Please let me know if you have more questions that we can answer and reply back with how your system is running once completeing the step I just gave you. :)