Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

BIOS flash MSI MS-6215 successful - my report

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I bought a used MSI MS-6215, a nifty tiny 80W 1.3GHz desktop unit with Windows 2000 Professional O/S.

I want to replace the 18G WD200 harddrive with a used Hitachi 160G. I backed up the W2Kpro bootable C: with PartImage (Linux System Rescue CD 1.1.6). GParted on the Rescue CD could see and partition the whole HD. I wiped the old configuration and set up 3 partitions. I restored the W2K boot/files to 40G partition sda1. W2K would start to boot, then give the BSOD STOP 0x0000007B 0x818A8030 0xC000014F 0x00000000 0x00000000. Some research led me to Hitachi's disk test and disk features CD ISO images, which declared the drive healthy, and let me totally wipe it and try again, but with the same result. After much research, I checked and noticed that the BIOS auto-detect was seeing 137.4G. I found advice that 'clipping' the drive's report of its capacity with a jumper would make the BIOS happy, while still allowing W2K to see the entire drive. The jumper made the drive report 'correctly' as 32G, and a restore of the files now booted, but was only seen as 18G in some places, 32G in others. The drive's compatability PDF said W2K SP4 only, so I upgraded to SP4 rollup1. No change that I could see.

The BIOS was version 1.9, and the newest 2.0 said the change was so that it could handle a (non-Hitachi) 160G HD. I decided to flash. I expanded ver 2.0 (latest) and 1.9 (current) EXEs from Hitachi's website to folders and wrote a CDR. I wrote the current BIOS settings in my logbook by hand. I powered down and plugged into a UPS. The page http://forum-en.msi......ge;topic=69.0 had a lot of interesting relevant posts, but the links to the information about what to do if things go wrong were all bad.

From questions asked, I gathered that if there is no video output after flashing and you need to recover, you need a floppy with a good BIOS image file (524288 bytes) on it named AMIBOOT.ROM. Boot with the floppy seated and hold Ctrl-Home. The re-flash should proceed blind and end with 4 beeps. Take the floppy out and reboot. ***This is my best guess, I didn't need to do this and can't verify that it works.***

I booted from a W98SE bootable floppy that had USB CDROM drivers, and used my USB external CDROM for the CDR with the Hitachi flashing files. AMIFL827 /? showed me the flasher's usage. I put a blank floppy in A: and entered
It wrote a file named AMIBOOT.ROM to the floppy, 524288 bytes. The beginning of the file compares exactly to A6351IMS.190, so I think it is indeed the image of the 1.9 BIOS I had. Then I entered
AMIFL827 A6351IMS.200
The program gave me a nice menu, but no option to write a backup of the current BIOS. I was glad I had done that separately first. I told it to go ahead and the flash went smoothly and correctly.

Next I'll take that clip jumper off the HD and try again...

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Sounds like a blog entry... :)