Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OMG I KNOW MY FILES ARE THERE I CANT GET EM!

• Please log in to reply

ampflex

ampflex

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok guys. I know have Windows XP Home back onto my computer. Here comes the new BIG problem.

I installed it on another partition, and now I cant get back to my original files!! I have now connected the disk up to another computer, hoping I could get into my files and just copying them onto this computer. However, it gives me the usual Access is denied error message.

Is there ANY WAY I can get my files back, I know that I cant install on my other partition and re-install XP, so basically im screwed by myself.

Please people, if any of you know how, I really want my music collection and movies back. Maybe deleting the windows folders on that partition might do something, but im too afraid it will get more stuffed

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Relax.

Reboot into save mode, log in as an administrator, right click the folder with your files, choose Sharing and Security, choose SECRUITY TAB, choose Advanced > Owner tab and select your account and give yourself ownership. Move the files to a non-documents and setting folder (the root is good)

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
:tazz: Thank you so much for your helpful information. I will try it ASAP when I get back from school. I thought I was going to be depressed for the day, that would also have been useful yesterday, because I couldn't concentrate on my test! oh well, at least they weren't exams.

ampflex

ampflex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Could you please post it in step by step instructions? I tried the above instructions and the sharing and security option is not showing up.

Oh. also forgot to mention, when im in windows explorer and I let my mouse sit over the icon. It says no files? I know for a fact that my files are there because it says 20 out of 60 gb is free which is how much I had before the windows installation got screwed.

Or someone else know anything useful?
Thanks you for your help :tazz: and to anybody else that might in the future

Edited by ampflex, 12 May 2005 - 12:56 AM.