Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gagp30kx.sys hanging when in safe mode and in general

• Please log in to reply

StarD

StarD

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright so to start this off.

I currently have a Asus K8V Motherboard computer that is socket 754 with AMD 64 +3000 CPU with 1.5GB Ram (lets say this is Computer 1). The entire computer was custom built (several years back) and recently I decided to try and upgrade it. Socket 754 being retired, I tried to find a CPU to upgrade it with... I ordered a new CPU but it happened to be AM2 (it was originally marketed as 754), but before myself realizing it was AM2, I already took out the CPU. The thing is though, the original CPU actually was ripped out with the Heatsink (pretty much melted on there). I tried all my methods to try and take that CPU off the heatsink but it just wouldn't budge. Therefore i had to order ANOTHER Socket 754 CPU and another heatsink. While waiting for delivery, I needed a computer. So I took my other custom built computer (Gigabyte motherboard socket 939 AMD 64, Computer 2) and tried to attach the hard drive there (as master and only one). Computer 2 had a faulty videocard (it was burnt out... the entire videocard fan just came off) so that computer didn't work. I waited until I got my new CPU back and I reinstalled everything including the original Hard drive I was trying to use on Computer 2.

This is where my problem happens...

I tried to load up Windows XP Home service Pack 3 (OEM) (it was installed before everything like this happened) (after all, all the parts are the same except a new CPU (which should technically be the same... i mean they're both AMD 64)) and after five times that little loading bar goes, it just stops moving. So I tried going in via Safe mode. It starts out by listing all the drivers but then it just hangs on gagp30kx.sys. Being myself, and needing this computer up ASAP, I booted up an old version of Ubuntu (7.04), Live CD of course, in order to try and find a solution on the internet.

I went to several other tutorials which all ended up not working (including Microsoft's "How to recover from a corrupted Registry that prevents Windows XP from starting").

Then, I came across this thread on this forum:
http://www.geekstogo...ot-t119053.html
Following the steps, I put in two different disks of Windows XP Service Pack 2 CDs to "repair" the entry. Everytime I repair, it hangs on "Please Wait..." or "Allocating blah blah memory" part. I tried booting in VGA mode, with no success (it does the same thing as the rest, just stop after five intervals of the blue sinister bar stopping) and I tried to boot from every single possible way:
Posted Image

All of them failed and with no success, I followed the post. I also tried downloading the recovery console and burning it to a CD but that also failed (same thing happened with Windows XP CDs), I tried to rename the file itself (from gagp30kx.sys to gagp30kx.bak using Ubuntu's Terminal) but that didn't work (apparently I don't have permission... I also ran sudo command). I attached an external Hard drive to back everything up so I can just start with a fresh Windows install. Unfortunately, anything that I move, thats bigger than 50mb, somehow crashes Ubuntu (who knew). Ive tried both procedures in Ubuntu 7 and 9. Frustrated by now, I just got a second Hard Drive and tried attaching it as a slave to my main Hard drive and vice versa so I could move the files I need between itself through Ubuntu (Don't worry... I made sure the manual pins connection was correct on the back of each hard drive... or atleast I think I did it right..). For some reason booting would stop around the Flash screen (I did a few of those "pins" connection but it really didn't help at all). Frustrated even more, I removed my main hard drive and attached my other hard drive (not the USB hard drive but just a normal hard drive) and tried to install Windows on it. Well, Windows install hanged after I passed the "press enter" part. It hung at "Please Wait...". Just Great... right?

I can't get to recovery console, I can't get to command prompt, I can't access Windows, I can't access my files... Not the best situation for a person like myself to be in (especially when I need this computer up and running asap).

So... This seems like a big problem, and whoever is willing to tackle it would be greatly appreciated :)

For the time being, i'll be using Ubuntu Live CD to access the internet and to keep a tab on this post.

Thanks!
-Don

Oh... and I atleast consider myself somewhat computer literate... Built 4 computers from scratch and already worked on theses computers for a long time... So feel free to go into technical terms :)

Edited by StarD, 04 May 2009 - 08:52 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I sum up your post the bottom line is that you had a working computer in which you performed CPU replacement and now it doesn't work. Please look for the specs of the motherboard and cpu to see it they match. The fact that a cpu has the same socket is not enough. Check FSB and other parameters. Also, reset the BIOS by taking the battery out and then, while rebooting, leave it on default values. If still not successful boot again into BIOS and lower CPU speed and memory lattencies.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've tried that but doesn't work.

Similar things happened with/without resetting bios.

I kind of made sure that the CPU was compatible with my motherboard before purchase... I'll get back to you on that once I look at it some more

The following is the Motherboard and CPU I purchased:
http://usa.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B000LRIZEU

Oh, I'd also like to thank you Skeptic for helping me on this. Your insight is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by StarD, 04 May 2009 - 09:36 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The CPU wotks at 1600 Hyper Transport while the motherboard supports only 800. I don't know if the two can work together.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The thing is though, the original CPU actually was ripped out with the Heatsink (pretty much melted on there)

exactly how did you release the cpu lever if the heatsink was stuck to the processor...

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The CPU wotks at 1600 Hyper Transport while the motherboard supports only 800. I don't know if the two can work together.

Oh ok so does that mean I have to purchase a new CPU? Then wouldn't that mean I Can't run Ubuntu on this computer?

The thing is though, the original CPU actually was ripped out with the Heatsink (pretty much melted on there)

exactly how did you release the cpu lever if the heatsink was stuck to the processor...

I didn't release the CPU lever... The CPU was stuck to the heatsink that it just ripped the processor out without requiring me to release the lever.
erm... long story short... I used the computer for several years now (roughly 6) and its been through alot of tough times. no i did not try to overclock it. Either the cooling gel that is between the CPU and Heatsink is a really great bonding liquid or its either melted on there. In theory I could get it off, but I have yet to be able to do that for the past few days now.

Edited by StarD, 05 May 2009 - 04:27 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
SEE SCREENSHOT

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
sorry but mine looks nothing like that. the Heatsink sits right on top of the CPU.

Theres no guard on it or anything

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a socket that resembles the old socket 7 and does not have the guard on it. Just a lever on the one side as your picture shows that you posted in Post # 3

If you did not lift that lever to release the cpu then your CPU was not seated correctly.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It was seated correctly I do know that. It was just that the CPU was melted onto the heatsink and got ripped out with it.

Also, that has nothing to do with my problem right now...

http://www.mikeshard...index.html.html
http://www.ehow.com/...d-heatsink.html

I've tried those to attempt to remove it and just gave up and bought a new CPU

The thing looks SIMILAR to this:
Posted Image
Picture courtesy of
http://www.mikeshard...index.html.html

If you'd please read the statement above, i'm asking how to fix the booting into Windows XP problem, not trying to remove the CPU problem. I appreciate you guy's insights, but they're not the right ones i'm looking for right now. (I guess if you could find a way to remove the CPU that would help... as long as it doesn't cost anything)

Edited by StarD, 05 May 2009 - 06:33 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you now have a new MOBO, a new CPU, a new heatsink and fan and
new memory or old memory?

I see what the problem is with old cpu and heatsink but thats not the issue now so I'm asking about new components.

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 May 2009 - 06:43 PM.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't have a new motherboard.

Only thing I have new is the following:
CPU
Heatsink

CPU is technically the same pin and CPU brand/type but I don't know beyond that (by type i meant they're both AMD 64)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the cpu is being held down by the clips on the side of the heatsink that attach to the socket. Am I correct on that?

I'm sorry I read post #3 and maybe I misunderstood that you bought a new mobo and cpu. I believe you should still be able to get your files off your drive by using Puppy Linux. Then unless Happyrock has another ideal then I would suggest formatting and starting from scratch.
Here is the information for Puppy Linux

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 May 2009 - 07:49 PM.

StarD

StarD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
In theory, this problem shouldn't even exist. Assuming that the CPU is exactly the same as that inserted before.

If I had a new Motherboard, then I would need a new OEM license for Windows. Anyways with that out of the way...

Shouldn't Ubuntu Linux also be able to extract my files? I have already gone through the trouble of running Ubuntu live CD on my computer. I've already tried moving the files but it keeps on messing up in an error, what would differ from Puppy Linux and Ubuntu Linux?

Also, I forgot to add...

For some reason I can't install windows (it hangs on the "Please wait..." portion after you press enter)

Edited by StarD, 05 May 2009 - 08:06 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are correct with Ubuntu and Puppy.
Have you tried to slave the drive to a working system and getting to your files that way?
If the Ubuntu cd works in any other system then the problem that I can see is one of these
Hd
Cpu
Memory
Mobo
Cdrom drive

Even if windows will not boot, as long as the hd itself is functioning correctly you should be able to slave the drive and get what you need from it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 May 2009 - 09:02 AM.