Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Laptop

• Please log in to reply

froggie427

froggie427

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade the CPU in a Gateway MT3423 Notebook. Here are the specs on my current CPU:

Feature Description
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices
Model TMDTL56HAX5CT (TL-56)
Processor Type AMD Turion™ 64 ×2 Mobile Technology
Frequency 1.8 GHz
HyperTransport™ Speed 1600 MHz
L2 Cache 256 KB L1 - 1 MB L2
Input voltage 1.10V DC
Form factor Socket S1
Environmental conditions Temperature 95° C (203° F) maximum

I am trying to see what faster processors (Preferably intel), that would be compatible with my laptop. If anyone could find out this info for me, as well as possibly post a description on how to install said CPU into my laptop, I would appreciate it.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If it's an AMD laptop you will never fit an Intel CPU into it.

Generally speaking, by the time you're finished the hassle of even researching what CPUs are compatible with your machine and then finding/buying, you would be better off just buying a new notebook.

That's not even including the time (and it would be a lot of hassle) to install the new CPU if you did manage to get one.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yeah, installing a new CPU on a laptop is VERY difficult. What about some more RAM? Do you have any open slots for installing more RAM?

froggie427

froggie427

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I already have 2Gb of ram now, and that should be enough for vista,but my computer still freezes up and takes a year to load things.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What about reformatting your hard drive?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A format may be a bit overkill just yet, there's some good information in the guides section that might help you clean it up a bit.

Try here:
http://www.geekstogo...ne-t210685.html

And here:
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t225044.html

See what you think of those.

Troy