Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop not showing (only background) , cant go safe mode, Viruses

• Please log in to reply

holy crying

holy crying

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello\\

I have a big problem, yesturday i couldnt open Pdf files and office program. to day when i turned on the computer I am not able to see icons and starbotton (only background is shown). I tried to safe mode but i am not able. I want to download an antivirus program but i cant.
i am waiting for your help ..

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

holy crying

holy crying

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes but i cannot use the computer because the icons and other things are not shown except the background how do i start?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reboot the system and go into Safe Mode
To do this when rebooting and at the second black post screen start tapping the F8 button
You will get the Boot Menu screen
Scroll down to the line that says
" Safe Mode With Networking" and click enter
The system should boot into windows and your icons should be visible.

Download TweakUiXp from the link in my signature below and follow these instructions:

Click Start and then Run
Type in TWEAKUI and click OK
In the window that pops up look at the left pane window and click on Repair
Click on the down arrow in the right hand pane, make sure Rebuild Icons is selected
Click Repair Now
When done click OK then Reboot, all should be well then.

Let us know how this works.If evrything is back to normal then follow Rorschach112's advice in Post #2

Srdavids

Srdavids

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I believe he is having the issue that is referred to here: http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html

I wanted to add a workaround that I had to this issue but the current thread was locked.

The suggested problem to the login issue is that the Userinit.exe file in the System32 folder is either corrupt or missing due to spyware/viruses.

The fix was to boot using the windows disc, go into the repair console and rename/copy the userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe
(Read above thread for actual instructions)

My issue was that my userinit.exe was completely missing, so it could not be copied, and since no users exist on the XP disc, there are no user related files(IE: userinit.exe)

The workaround supplied for this was to either

A) Burn a new XP disc and add your own userinit.exe to it when burning
or
B) Copy the userinit.exe to a floppy and add it in the repair console

seeing as how I(and I'm sure many people) dont have an external floppy drive, the 2nd wasnt an option. And copying and burning a disc was too much trouble.

So, i finally get to, my workaround:

(This requires an external drive enclosure)

-Remove the drive from the problem computer and hook it up to the enclosure

-Plug the drive into another working XP machine
NOTE: If your problem was caused by malware infection, there is a chance you could "catch" the infection as well, make sure you are properly protected yourself and scan the drive once you plug it in

-Now, locate the userinit.exe file on your working computer(C:\Windows\System32\)
In my case, I dont know if it was overkill or completely necessary, but I copied all the user files(User.exe, user32.dll, userenv.dll, and userinit.exe) as all were missing from the infected system.

-Copy and paste these files into the same directory on the problem drive

-Disconnect, reinsert the drive into the computer, and, with some luck, voila! You should be able to get into your desktop.

-It's my recommendation to then backup your data(If you havent) then reformat the computer.

Hope that helps anyone who was having this issue as I was.