Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD media players

• Please log in to reply

MizzLi

MizzLi

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,

I'm not quite sure where to put this topic but it involves hardware, so here goes...

I want to buy an .avi 2.5" SATA Media Player, that you can use as an External disk drive and you can plug it into the TV to watch your camcorder made movies or photos.

I have found one on Ebay but you need to install your own hard disk drive and I have two spare: IDE/ATA or PATA from my old laptops.

The question is, on the product description it says it supports SATA I and SATA II Large Capacity SATA Drive, so would I still be able to install an older hard drive? The seller doesn't seem to know and I don't really understand the differences or whether they are backwards compatible like the USB 2.0 and previous or something.

I would be very grateful for any replies and advice!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello MizzLi & Welcome to GTG !

I Have Bought a 1TB ( 1,000GB ) 3.5" HDD Media player the other week ( Preforms Excellent ! ) , they come pre-formatted with FAT32 , ready to go...

USB 2.0 is bi-universal , if you reduce to the 1.somthing rate lol , the transfer speed will be reduced , transfers a little slower thats all...

I dont know why you are required to have 2 hard drives ? , as the hard drive is internally built into the external media player console...

Best of luck
&
Happy Computing

Enjoy the movies !
Anthony19

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi Anthony thanks for your reply!

The media player that I want to buy has no memory, as it does not come with a preinstalled hard disk drive, so essentially, I have to install/buy my own.

I have two at home from old discarded laptops that are 40GB each but one is a IDE/ATA drive and the other is a PATA drive. So I wanted to ask if I can install either one of these into the [empty] media player.

The product description it says it supports SATA I and SATA II Large Capacity SATA Drive, so I just wanted to see if it is compatible with my old drives?

Sorry if I wasn't being very clear before. =)

P.s. the reason why I want to install my own is because it's alot cheaper than buying one that already has preinstalled memory. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
The ide/ata and pata are not interchangeable with sata. The connections are different due to newer technology.

Read up on ide/ata and pata HERE
Read up on sata HERE

MizzLi

MizzLi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi 123Runner, thanks for your reply too.

Thats all I wanted to know, looks like if the connections are different, I won't be able to install it inside and will either have to buy a SATA drive to install into it.

The media player supports and can play from external USB drives, the two drives already have their 2.5" enclosures, so I sppose I can get round the problem that way, if you know what I mean?