Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no display

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
hi guys

i'll go straight to the point. a few days ago i opened up my pc for cleaning and some cable management, and after all that was done i thought why not install the new HSF (OCZ Vendetta 2) i have? actually i had bought it some time ago and didn't use it because i didn't want to use the thermal paste that came with it, i wanted to start off directly with something like Arctic Silver 5 but didn't get around buying that so i never used it.

but that day i figured why not and just went ahead and used the OCZ thermal paste that came with the HSF. but then the issue was that i couldn't properly install it because it was pretty big and i couldn't really access the thumbscrews, also my motherboard has a large cooler itself (MSI X48C Platinum). and since i was in a hurry and also wanted to format my pc soon, i gave up and just installed the Intel HSF planning on installing the OCZ later. but since i had already cleaned the Intel HSF i had to use the remaining OCZ thermal paste for it. well, i applied it and successfully installed the heatsink, after which i booted up and went to the BIOS to see if it was ok, and then i saw the processor's temperature was around 85C-90C degrees (my processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0). at that time, thinking that it was the problem of the thermal paste and afraid that i might fry the processor, i shut the pc down and left it till the next day.

the next day i got myself a tube of Arctic Silver 5 and after cleaning all the parts, i decided to try instaling the OCZ Vendetta 2 again. i want to point out here that i was using alcohol swabs and a soft cotton cloth to clean the stuff properly. this time i successfully installed the HSF (although it was a major pain), but then when i booted the PC the following was the behaviour:

i start it up, all the lights turn on and fans start like it normally does but then the pc shuts down itself after about 3 seconds. then it starts up again itself and runs like it's normal, but then after about 10-15 seconds it shuts down again, then after a few seconds starts up again and then shuts down after about 10-15 seconds. it just keeps on repeating this. another point is that during this entire time my monitor had no display. the power LED was always orange instead of green and the display showed nothing except the message "Power Saving Mode", as if the monitor wasn't connected to anything. all the LEDs and fans etc of the pc work properly though.

now when this started happening, i shut it down by pressing and holding the power button, then cleaned and applied the Intel HSF again (with the Arctic Silver). but i was still getting the same problem.

from my own experience i know that this problem occurs when the HSF is not installed correctly and the processor is overheating but i am pretty sure that i am installing both HSFs properly. i even checked all cables and connections and everything seems ok.

here are the complete parts:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0
Mainboard: MSI X48C Platinum
RAM: Corsair XMS2-DHX 2GB+2GB DDR2-800
VGA: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870
PSU: FSP Epsilon 1010W

all are on stock, nothing has ever been overclocked.

so what's wrong with my pc? :)

thanks in advance

EDIT: another thing to note is that i do not get any beeps at all.

Edited by badben25, 04 May 2009 - 12:42 PM.

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

EDIT: another thing to note is that i do not get any beeps at all.

sorry I don]t read all story coz I think not needed. remove each and every components as well as cables only plug RAM, Video card or inbuild VGA and CPU then power on. Does ur pc beep? if not then just remove RAM again power on the pc.....at this time u must heard beep sound.

PS: make sure ur PSU is running

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i tried exactly what you said, but no difference, i still have no beeps and no display.

one thing that i noticed is that in your first step the pc behaves the same way but if i take out the RAM like in your second step then the PC doesn't keep on starting up and shutting down. but that still isn't close to it being fixed.

my PSU seems fine, and i have correctly connected the case speaker connection, because i thought it might be why i am not getting any beeps but it's properly connected so i am still stuck :)

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
with out RAM no beeps then must be problem on your board. do u see led lighten on the board or not.

okay then remove the MOBO from the case then put it on the non metallic objects like paper, book or plastic made things now plug RAM, PSU, CPU and VGA, use screw driver for shorting onboard power on button. let see what happen?

make sure UR PSU is running.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thanks for the help :)

i always had a feeling it was either my PSU or mainboard. i couldn't test it like you said but i got a PSU, processor, RAM and graphics card from a friend that were compatible with my system and tried all of them in all different possible combinations and methods but i was still getting the same issue. so the only thing left was the mainboard, so i sent it back to where i bought it from and will be getting a response in a day or 2 which will tell what exactly went wrong.