Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

EHD Help needed!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Edge DiskGo EHD that I bought about 2 years ago. Recently, it stopped working. I took it to Best Buy and they told me that the power cord was not working. They could not help me as they said the power cord was made specifically for that model. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that my particular unit has been discontinued and they did not have any models they could sell me. They also could not recommend any where I could buy just the power cord so that I could get my files off the EHD.

I went to a web site that sold the EHD by Edge and it even showed a picture that I could view and zoom... http://www.provantag...ow/11921609.jpg
This is the exact one I have. 4-prong power cord. Unfortunately, they sent me the newer model and could not get me the one shown in the picture. That will teach me to buy something because of what it looks like.

1. Is it possible to get my files off the EHD with out hurting them?
2. Anyone have any ideas where I can find this model?
3. If anyone has this model, I will PAY to borrow the power cord to get my data off this EHD.

• Technician
  • 1,570 posts
There are a couple of options. The first is that you could open the enclosure and pull the disk out and then place it in another enclosure. As a side note, this is why I prefer to install my own disk in an enclosure; the disk can be moved without a problem and without warranty issues.

The next option is to determine what the power requirements are and splice in a new power adapter into the existing connector. This is a bit harder if the current power supply is not working.

You could check on ebay or craigslist to see if you can find a model like yours. I suspect another external case would be cheaper. Check on newegg.com or other sites for cases.

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Or, if you have a PC, you can remove the drive from the enclosure and install it in your PC as a second drive. You may have to get an adapter.