Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help

• Please log in to reply

athesh

athesh

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:tazz: I cannot connect with other people via my ip address...

when I set an internet radio or when trying to play games..

we have a LAN connection between 2 computers here and we even cannot play games with each other! but we can share our documents..

web is connected through adsl and we assign stable ip 's for our inner network.. if I switch that to automatic we cannot see each other's folders ;)

what should I do???????????

and some said that it was because of the NAT system of adsl..

can anyone help me ;)

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Many online games/applications require certain ports to be accessible -- if you have a firewall then you will need to open the ports required by the game(s) and the internet radio.

athesh

athesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't think its because of firewall I checked it once but its possible..

anyway.. how can I do that? how can I open ports?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
First you'd need to find out which ports the applications use. Once you know, visit: Port Forward, and select your router from the list provided. Choose 'Port Forwarding for the (your router)'. It then has detailed instructions on how to forward ports.

athesh

athesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm I had a look at the list but I don't think I have router :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

hmm I had a look at the list but I don't think I have router  ;)

Oops, my bad :tazz:
Sorry... Anywho, can both computers browse the internet at the same time? And do you mean that other people also can't connect to your internet radio? Or is it just the other computer on your LAN? One reason you may not be able to play games together would be due to you both having the same Global IP Address -- have you purchased a second IP from your ISP? However, if no-one can connect to your IP, then it might be caused by something else.

athesh

athesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
we have a switch machine which is conencted to modem.. it changes the ip address of other computer and so, without a router we can both connect to internet.. I dunno if I'm completely right but thats what I know :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Does it change the local IP, or the global IP?

athesh

athesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm sorry these days I cannot connect to internet...

I'm not sure which ip does it change but I think its local ip

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
The local IP is the IP that is designated to each computer on the network -- the Global IP is the IP which is sent out to the 'world wide web', therefore if you're trying to play an online game, the Game server would see you both as the same person (same IP Address).
You never did specify if it was only the other person on your network that couldn't connect to your IP, or if it was everyone. If it is everyone, then let me know.

athesh

athesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just can send a reply once in 3 days my net is gone because of viruses I think I'm gonna format it..

I don't know if we are both seen as the same person but thats not the point..

I cannot connect with other people.... and I'm going to ask that "switch" machine to someone who knows better.. then I can give you more information about it...

someone said that it can be because of the NAT system of the adsl. He said that because of NAt system, when I try to get an ip address it gives me a random ip.. I tried to close that option but then I couldn't connect to internet.. anyway I think thats irrelevant.. is there anything I can do at the moment..

I hope I can post the next answer sooner :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Network Address Translation, or NAT takes internal addresses and changes, or translates them to an external address that can reach the service you desire. By using this form of firewalling, you can ensure control over outgoing connections, as the internal network can't reach outside without using it. Additionally, it gives good control over access to the internal network, as there are no direct connections available through this type of firewall. However, not every protocol works with NAT, as some rely on state information that is not passed though.

It is possible that NAT is causing the problem for you. If you set up a Bridged Connection, NAT will be automatically disabled/bypassed.

athesh

athesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hmm... what do u think the problem is... I will try again after I format my computer but I don't think its gonna work....

and I wanna ask something... When configuring the ip addresses.... there is an option to get automatic and we can set the ip... if we set it as automatic we cannot connect to the internet so we make them like 192.168.1 and 2... :tazz: