Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble Uninstalling McAfee

• Please log in to reply

Beartheshadows

Beartheshadows

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have no virus/malware protection on my computer at this time. I have went through many different programs trying to find one the works for me. I'm trying to download Kaspersky's but it says that I have McAfee components that are not compatable and that I must uninstall them before proceeding but I can't find anything from McAfee in my computer when I search for them. I've read many message boards trying to figure out how to get rid of them, but it's been no help. Can anyone tell me why I find McAfee components only hen I installing Kaspersky's?

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Download and run the McAfee Removal Tool to get rid of it fully

http://majorgeeks.co...Tool_d5420.html

Beartheshadows

Beartheshadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Now I'm having trouble with the removal tool. Vista keeps shutting it down before it can finish. Any more help?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
try it in safe mode

Beartheshadows

Beartheshadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
As you can tell, I'm not very good with this stuff, lol. Can you tell me how to GET to safe mode?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
no problem, here is a guide on how to do it

http://www.bleepingc...tutorial61.html

Beartheshadows

Beartheshadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Now I have a different set of problems when I run it in Safe Mode. It tells me that I can''t obtain full permission to run the removal tool.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
hmm lets try remove it manually

• Download OTListIt2 to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under Custom Scan paste this in

netsvcs
    msconfig
    safebootminimal
    safebootnetwork
    activex
    drivers32
    %systemroot%\System32\antiwpa.dll
    %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\wpa.dll
    %systemroot%\setup\scripts\biestart.exe
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\royal.sys
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.
    %PROGRAMFILES%\*.

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTListIt.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTListIt2.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them all in.