Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutts down when playing games

• Please log in to reply

Mkkl

Mkkl

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my computer.
My computer shutts down automatically when playing games.
I tried all software upgrades, drivers, windows update, malware/virus/adaware cleaning, reinstall windows clean HDD etc etc.
So i think it's a hardware problem, but before spending a lot of cash I would like some confirmation.
A computerstore nearby already checked it and they didn't found anything.
Stressed the whole thing with 3Dmark nothing happened.
But when I play games like COD 4,5 Dead Space it turns off after a different amount of time.
It then restarts and restarts until i take the power off, when I switch it on again it works just fine.
I had several BSOD when these things happen like: driver irql not less or equal, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA,GRAPHICS_DRIVER_FAULT
So my conclusion was it is a heat problem.
Now before i thought of this I already checked my RAM with memtest86+ and it gave 1 error, but most of the time the computer still shutted down.
Then I started to check the manufacturers site to find out which RAM is compatible with my motherboard and turns out, the RAM in my system wasn't compatible.
By then I had already bought my 2nd set of the same RAM, unfortunately.
I saw a test report on the MSI Neo3-FR website which said the KVR800D2N5 RAM would work http://www.msi.com/u...t/TR10_1611.pdf.
But the Kingston site says something else, it should be KVR800D2N6 RAM
http://www.ec.kingst...;submit1=Search
What I am wondering is can this difference in memory cause my problems? So I can safely buy nem GOOD RAM without throwing away money again.
Or could it be my Graphics card?
The temps of my GC won't rise above the 65 degrees celsius and i have to mention something else!
My MB get's kinda hot next to my RAM.
http://images.icecat...gh/1596339-2585. Where it says N1996 exactly, it can burn my finger to give an indication.

My System:
MB: MSI P45 Neo3-FR
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: Kingston KVR800D2N5K2⁄4G
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
GC:Sapphire HD4850 512MB
HDD:Samsung 640GB HD642JJ
Windows XP pro

I hope I gave you guys enough info.

Thank you in advance!
Michiel Tammeling

Sorry for my (probably) bad english... I'm from the Netherlands :)

Edited by Mkkl, 04 May 2009 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Sounds like a graphics card issue to me!

pertsavk

pertsavk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
No overclocking? This resembles the symptoms I get when overclocking too much my graphs card. And about the memory, it should work (the type I mean). But as the memtest you ran reported some errors you should confirm by having them run in another computer or just return them to Kingston, they have quite a good guarantee policy. Your current problems are probably not related to this but you should make sure you are not running any KNOWN BAD memory sticks, it is just generally a bad idea. A small tidbit of information was missing - the PSU. Check the system stability with a known good PSU or have a friend of yours run your PSU for some time to see if it causes the problems (remember, a failing PSU can take other parts with it when failing for the very last time). And of course, the drivers. ATI Catalyst 9.4 have been behaving badly with some 4xxx series cards, maybe you'd like to revert to an older set in case you just installed the new ones and the problems popped up after that?

Mkkl

Mkkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Nope no overclocking

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I suggest to replace the graphics card. Per what you said, those are symptoms of graphics card corruption!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Lots of good information in Post #3 that still needs to be answered as well...

Mkkl

Mkkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah sorry bout that i was quite busy. But i have a Spire PSU http://www.spirecool....asp?ProdID=697
And i alreadu have reverted to other drivers. I had version 6 till the latest and tried omega drivers, driver fixes etc.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
You could open up the case and blow a fan on everything while playing just to totally rule out overheating.

Someone at Newegg.com had to downclock his RAM with this Mobo(dunno if this is even relevant)

Try something like rthdribl and see what happens

Look on the side of your PSU what are the +12V power ratings?

Just making suggestions-Don't know if this helps any

Edited by Cold Titanium, 09 May 2009 - 05:53 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The RAM error constitutes a failure... reset the BIOS defaults and run a memory diagnostic again... Let it run overnight.

If it fails again you have faulty RAM and it needs replacing.

Mkkl

Mkkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well most of the time, it will freeze after 15 minutes and then restart and restart and restart untill I turn it off. And I already tried it with brand new RAM. I have 4 sticks of 2 GB. It would be weird if all of the sticks were bad. But I'm wondering if a faulty GPU can cause restarts while checking the RAM with memtest86+.

Edited by Mkkl, 10 May 2009 - 04:17 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If the computer is rebooting when running a memory diagnostic, I would strongly suspect the PSU. That Spire looks like a heap.

Mkkl

Mkkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I would really like to try another PSU in my computer, problem is every PSU in our house is built in the "pc body"( don't know the name in english. And i'm not very keen on pulling someone else's computer apart, cause i'm not really an computer expert. Or I'll just put the other computer next to mine and connect the wires while it's still in the other computer?:) Sounds a little crazy but it may work, or not? Just hope this one is good enough :) It's a 350 watt codegen. Not a big brand but I read some reviews that were quite pleased. Never had any problems with it on the other pc.
http://www.ochardwar...codegen350.html

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I don't think that PSU has enough amps on it's single +12V rail

Edit: 12 Amps isn't nearly enough for your system

Edited by Cold Titanium, 10 May 2009 - 01:58 PM.

Mkkl

Mkkl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Okay well, mayba I can borrow a good PSU from a computer shop here before I spend 60 euro's on a PSU which I don't really need.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Make sure that it has at least 20-30 Amps on it's +12V rail. A PSU with multiple +12V rails would be best.