Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No connectivity in PTP home network!

• Please log in to reply

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I moved my office home and didn't change anything and just plugged equipment back in. I have 4 PC's and 2 printers in a peer to peer network. All machines are configured to obtain an IP automatically. One machine is NT the others are XP. Only two are really affected. Three of the four where working fine until I plugged the one we have been working on. It did not connect to the network from the start.
As we worked out the update issue, one other PC stopped connecting while I was in front of it. I tried changes cables, another router and other network cards. Nothing has worked. I tried shutting down everything and rebooting as shown here on the site but did not work. At this point I don't have the router connecting to the internet because of various issues as wall plugs and having to run cables around my house so that is not a concern. I just want these PC's to talk to each other to share files and print. Oh, I also took the PC we have been working on to a local shop where it worked fine, go figure. They were able to get on their shop network no problem.
Let me know if you need any other info!

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Are you able to access the internet when the router is hooked up?
Which machine has been the problematic one?
On the xp machines, if you do an ipconfig (start>>run>>type cmd, then type ipconfig) with the router hooked up do you get an ip address?
can you list the results of the ipconfig?

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Only 2 of the XP PC's are affected. I haven't turned on the other XP or NT PC because I didn't want them affected. I can connect to the net through the network router:
PC #1 - IP address 192.168.1.101
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
and
PC #2 - IP address 192.168.1.105
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
When connected to the network router which does not access the net they are:
PC #1 IP address 169.254.95.138
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Gateway none
PC #2 - IP address 169.254.117.26
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Another strange thing is when I switch the cables from the net access to the network and while the network icon is connecting and I double click the icon to bring up the local area connection status dialog box, the IP address type says assigned by DHCP and the IP address is correct as above and after trying to connect it switched IP's and the address type says automatic private address.

PS: I connected the network router to the net and magically things seem to work. But, I can't print with my KyoceraMita though. I can access the printers properties but that's it. It has an IP of 192.168.1.7

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
addresses in the 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 range are called APIPA (Automatic private Internet protocol addresses) Its what is used when a dhcp server (your router in this case) can't be located. It is basically worthless in most cases.

PS: I connected the network router to the net and magically things seem to work. But, I can't print with my KyoceraMita though. I can access the printers properties but that's it. It has an IP of 192.168.1.7

So they all work now, or just the printer doesnt. Just trying to get the jist of things

Are you sharing this printer or does it have its own network card?

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Yes they all work now. It is just strange how they just stopped working. The Kyocera KM2530 is installed on only one PC and the others share this connection. I am not sure if it has its own card or not.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Yes it is strange, most likely it was due in part to the router not giving out IP addresses.

Is the printer connected to the same computer that was sharing it before?
Can the other computers access it over the network?
What happens when you try to print?

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Yes
Yes through the properties tab
Get a Kprint error. Here is a screenshot link:
http://i2.photobucke...ER/Desktop3.jpg

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
That error is rather uninformative . Seems they could give a little info. Easiest solution(or first try) would be to uninstall and re install the printer (I'm assuming this happens from all machines) then re share it as the problem most likely resides with the printer. Do you have the software for it