Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Runtime error 216 at start up can't get past

• Please log in to reply

mtnone

mtnone

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
I have searched for previous problems like this, none are the same.

I removed IE 7 the other day, followed the instructions for removing the service pk 3 before I did so. I had been having problems with IE opening and closing when I was in firefox, and always opening two pages, not being able to find the page, etc... I thought the problem was in IE, as I had read that it had many. I figured I would load IE8 later.

I now think I may have had the trojan vundo virus, since my malware was finding problems sometimes when I ran it, other times not. I run it at least once a week, and it had been coming up clean. I also run spybot once a week.

On to the problem. When I went to reboot after uninstalling sv pk 3 and IE7, I got a Explorer.EXE application error as soon as my desktop loaded, sometimes before it does. When I hit either ok or cancel, I get the runtime error 216, when I hit ok, the timer appears and I can do nothing at all except to manually turn off computer, then I get this task isn't ending, I close it and the computer shuts off.

When I try to open in safemode, (using f8) sometimes I can, others I can't. It just opens as before. When I can, I have been searching for answers, I have run my malware, spybot, which both cleared a few things, not much was found.

I tried downloading IE 8 in safe mode, I really can't tell if it worked or not, it acted like it did.

This last time I tried to open it, it skipped the safe mode again, and opened. When I hit cancel on the application error to de bug, it said after a minute the 'Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debuggar" message for the first time, when it closed the runtime error didn't show up, or the timer icon, so I opened up firefox, no problem at all, except when I went to type a search to learn about the Dr. Watson thing, my keyboard wouldn't work. I couldn't type at all. I could navigate freely. I unplugged and plugged back in my keyboard, no change. I was able to use the keyboard without problems when I was in the safe mode several times.

I do see a very fast keyboard error message on one of the black screens that show quickly during startup. I have seen it every time, but with no problem with the keyboard.

I rebooted several times. I am not getting the Dr. Watson message again. I am right back to the application error and runtime/freeze. I have tried to open again in safe mode and haven't had any luck, which has happened several times before over the last two days.

I am on another computer now, with the same keyboard, no problems.

I have read about the hackthis being needed to show logs, but it always sounds like you have to be out of safe mode to do so and I can't get into anything at all, even my start menu in anything but safemode, except the one time after the Dr Watson message/no keyboard event.

Sorry for the length, I am trying to be as clear as possible about what has happened and what I have done. I work online in customer service, I am not very tech oriented, but can follow instructions. I can't do my job on this older computer and I am desperate here now. I have spent hours reading about runtime errors but none seem to match my problem.

The reason I didn't know I had the Trojan vundo virus, if I do, is because I wasn't having any of the problems people talk about, no pop ups, no error messages, no websites I couldn't open, including MySpace the only problems I had were with IE, and they weren't that bad, just annoying. I work in Firefox, so ignored them. It wasn't until I had seen it in my scan log with the anti-malware that I thought to search for it.

I have tried the restore to last working configuration, no change.

I do not have the Windows 2000 xp CD. The computer was purchased used and it came with it. I have been using the computer for about 1 year.

I can't tell you how much I would appreciate any advice, ideas, anything at all. Thank you.

Edited by mtnone, 04 May 2009 - 06:04 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I suggest you follow the directions in this guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Since you can run the scans in safe mode, you can post your logs to the Malware Forum to see if they show any malware.
When you mention a "timer" what do you mean. This could mean melware.

mtnone

mtnone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, thank you. I have already run both malwarebytes and spybot earlier today, while in safe mode. Minimal results and I deleted them, no change. I do run both every week, to clean out whatever.

By timer I mean the little hour glass icon appears after I click on the runtime error, then I can do nothing at all, anywhere.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am sure (85%) that this is malware related/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259279
You probably have the backdoor described in this article.

Get all the logs you can, and post in the Malware Forum.

mtnone

mtnone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again. I just tried to open it in safe mode 4 times, it just ignores me and opens as normal, then I get this message right way, can't do anything not even crtl alt del before it says:

The instruction at 0x021c3c26 referenced memory at 0x02286484 the memory could not be read.

I click ok, I get runtime error 216 at 021C3C26

I don't understand why I can't open in safemode. It did this a few times yesterday, then worked fine into safemode a couple of times, then stopped allowing me to again.

Without safemode I am in even deeper trouble, I can't do anything. Should I post this in the malware forum? Should I even bother them? I was going to try a suggestion for someones post in that forum just now, given to another a couple of years ago, but can't do it now, without safe mode. or being able to open the task manager.

Thank you so much for the above link, I have been there already, read everything. They never mention not being able to do anything when the error message is there at start up. I have tried everything I can find on those sites.

I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.

Edited by mtnone, 04 May 2009 - 07:12 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

mtnone

mtnone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If I can't get in with safe mode, I won't be able to get any. If I can, do you mean from running anti malware and/or spybot? Is there anyplace else for me to get any logs, if I can get it to let me in again, in safe mode?

Edited by mtnone, 04 May 2009 - 09:13 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

If I can't get in with safe mode

Did you try?

mtnone

mtnone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, as I wrote, many times I have tried to get into it in safe mode. I have only succeed twice, yesterday , that is when I ran my malware and spybot. After that, I have tried again many times. I have not yet succeeded again. It just ignores my constant F8's and opens normally, then hits the problems I wrote about.

Thanks for trying. But, again, if I should succeed at getting back into safe mode, what logs are you saying I need to get? I have to switch back to this computer to come here to write these. If I know before I might succeed I can get them while I have the chance.

Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

DaisyPatch

DaisyPatch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In case anyone else reads this, I don't have an answer yet, but here is what we do to buy time until we can get ours fixed. We have Windows XP. After logon, we get this error:

"Explorer.exe - Application Error. The instruction at ~address~ referenced memory at ~address~ that could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.
Click on CANCEL to debug the program."

After logon is the only time we see this error message.

Click on OK.

Then you get a little window that says Runtime Error 216 at ~address~. You have exactly a split second, maybe less, to click on OK. If you wait any longer you get an eggtimer and there is nothing to do but ctrl-alt-del and bring up task manager, kill the error message and try again. If you hit OK fast enough, you are good to go until the next time you logon. Sometimes I can get it on the first try, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times. Make sure nothing else is open on the desktop (ie - don't put a lot of stuff in your startup folder) or the little Runtime Error message will get covered up with something else and you will never see it.