Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to rename New Folders!

• Please log in to reply

Midnighter

Midnighter

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
New Folders in Favorites, My Pictures and such cannot be renamed, but already existing folders such as 'Sample Pictures' can. Other user accounts are able to rename folders anywhere, (all are Administrator accounts) but this particular account cannot (also an Admin account); I was able to change folder names before though.

I've tried the registry fixes that other help sites have shown, (they tell you to save the reg fix file to desktop and then right-click, Merge) but to no avail. They have also suggested to perform a System Restore, but I'm holding off on that until I'm sure there would be no other way.

([not related] Also, for some reason, I was unable to open new tabs and windows on IE8, but a quick Delete Browsing History fixed that. Kinda weird, but do you think it could be related to me downloading the reg fix?)

Thanks to anyone who responds!!!!! :)

Edited by Midnighter, 04 May 2009 - 07:19 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What exactly do you mean by new folders? Created after certain date?
What exactly happens, when you try to rename a folder?
Since you played with the registry (which you shouldn't), system restore is definitely worth a shot.

Midnighter

Midnighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Thanks Broni!
Well, folders that have been created before and been renamed before, and also new folders that have been created recently. Whenever I right click, and click Rename and type the desired folder name and press Enter, nothing happens, the highlighted name that I typed is still there and the cursor is still blinking. I click on an empty space (to deselect the box with the name) and it still says New Folder.

This problem occured way before I downloaded this reg fix that was supposed to fix the Vista new folder renaming problem... I wasn't playing with the registry, mind you, I don't even know how to access it in the first place! This fix was found in a Vista support site; here's the link: http://www.vistax64....new-folder.html

If System Restore is my only option, is there anything else I should do after I system restore?

Thanks again Broni!!!

__

Edit: I didn't receive any error message when I try to rename it-- it's just not having any effect whenever I press enter. I had to retype New Folder again 'cause I can't click anywhere (while renaming some folders in my Favorites that is; whenever I try to rename folders in my Pictures or My Documents, I just returns to the previous name when I press Enter).

Edited by Midnighter, 04 May 2009 - 09:56 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You have to keep in mind, that system restore won't touch your personal data.
System restore deals only with Windows system files.
To access System Restore, go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.