Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron Adapter and Battery Troubles

• Please log in to reply

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello, greetings and salutations.
I'm Ludo Siren, and I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook. It seems when I turn on the computer, it says it doesn't recognize the AC adapter. It says I should plug in a 90W -AC Adapter. However the thing is- that's exactly what I have plugged in, and it won't recognize it!
I've run a diagnostic of the computer using the on screen command to do so that comes along with the adpater warning, and it says it has no problems.
In addition- I believe the Dell Batteries (mine is a regular battery that comes along with the laptop brand I have) have a life that Dell hasn't told me about. This problem happened at the same speed before, and the first time they told me I must not have been taking proper care of the battery. However, I have in fact been doing a cycle. I let the battery die out, and then recharge it until it is full. The charge it holds however is dwindling, and it won't hold at all because it supposedly can't recognize my adapter.
I know that in the end, I'm going to have to buy a spare part- that's always what happens. But Dell refuses to speak with me unless I pay them a fee since my warranty is up. I can't afford that and the overly-pricey parts Dell pushes at you. In a final additive to my problem: can anyone recomend where I can get cheaper but moderately well quality parts? I have surfed the web and found several but who can you trust now-a-days! I find I've browsed around here before and you seem to be a realiable bunch that fix all kinds of problems. So I think I do believe for certain I can get some solid good advice!
Hope this is enough information on my part- but if you need anything more I'd be happy to supply it. Thank you kindly for your time!

Advertisements

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Hi Ludo Siren,
Welcome to GeeksToGo!

While I, personally, am not an expert in the field of hardware, I do know that www.newegg.com has some decent parts for reasonable prices. I use them whenever purchasing something for my own computers.

Newegg is great with making sure things get to you on time, and have an all-around good reputation. Be sure to read through the reviews on each particular product though, as some products just aren't as great as others.

Best of luck!

-Silenced Message

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you- I've looked around and it seems like there are some good and reasonably priced parts- besides a battery which is the same price as retail. The only problem is- I need to figure out what it is that needs to be replaced. If you could maybe refer someone who knows how to diagnose this?

silencedmessage

silencedmessage

• PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
Hi again Ludo Siren,
I'm more than sure that one of our tech's will be along soon. They're pretty darn good at what they do. :)

UNTIL THEN, the original reason I found your post is because I'm having the same exact problem with my Inspiron E1505.

What I have found thusfar is that you can find out if your battery is good or not through the bios.

When the computer is starting up, press F2 to enter setup.

There should be multiple options on the left. Under the system "tree", there is the "Battery Health" section.
Please do not change any settings unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing. Changing the wrong settings in your BIOS could cause serious harm to your computer
The following message would indicate that you probably need a new battery:

This battery is charging normally, however it is reaching the end of its usable life.......

As for the adapted, I'm still unsure. The messages about my adapter started at the same time the battery was no longer holding a proper charge. The only other thing is that mine has some visible physical damage, so I cannot guarantee that they are related.

Hopefully that helps at least a little. Once again, I'm sure one of our well-trained techs will be by soon. :)

-SilencedMessage

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks so much- I'll check that out then.

fyrman24

fyrman24

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have an e1705 that goes through 3-4 adapters a year.... i haven't been able to determine why yet, but when i plug a known good charger in i don't get the message. i find mine on the internet for usually 30-40 bucks. the battery with mine is Li-Ion which are not supposed to be cycled... check it out on the web with a good search. Li-ion life si based on cycles, it will last a really long time if charged regularly( every chance you can or continuously). a cycle is usully considered below 10%. so every time the battery goes low enough for the low battery warning to come up, that is a cycle. but these big laptops sem to eat chargers. mine was ok until warranty ran out, then started killing chargers.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

i have an e1705 that goes through 3-4 adapters a year.... i haven't been able to determine why yet, but when i plug a known good charger in i don't get the message. i find mine on the internet for usually 30-40 bucks. the battery with mine is Li-Ion which are not supposed to be cycled... check it out on the web with a good search. Li-ion life si based on cycles, it will last a really long time if charged regularly( every chance you can or continuously). a cycle is usully considered below 10%. so every time the battery goes low enough for the low battery warning to come up, that is a cycle. but these big laptops sem to eat chargers. mine was ok until warranty ran out, then started killing chargers.

Mine isn't a Li-ion. Mine is a normal battery. And I see-I'll have to look that up. But as stated, I just need to find out what is is that needs to be replaced before I do get a replacement.

fyrman24

fyrman24

• Pip
  • 3 posts
the power adapter is what you have to replace, i believe the part number is pa-10 90 watt. if the battery goes bad the pc will either tell you to replace it or more often it will just say low battery and power down 5 minutes after you unplug it.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm not sure though. It says it's my adapter that isn't recognized. I'll try and better check it out soon.

fyrman24

fyrman24

• Pip
  • 3 posts
thats why the adapter needs replaced

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I've been looking on this site for some odd parts for my dell e1505. The screen holder panel on the back were the hinges are is broken and I need a new one. and this site is the only one that has it so far.

They seem to have a really nice selection and here is a link to the charger your looking for http://www.parts-peo...ion=item&id=299 They seem to have all the parts so if you wished to build a dell laptop you could.

Ludo Siren

Ludo Siren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks guys. It seems this stuff is much cheaper- so when I get the money, I think I'll replace the both of them. That way I have something just in case I suppose. I really need a job haha. Thanks for the websites!