Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound in Doom 3 (Sound Blaster Live!)

• Please log in to reply

erm2706

erm2706

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I don't get any sound at all in Doom 3. I've just installed a brand new Sound Blaster Live 24 bit card with the latest drivers.

I checked with Activision and they said from the dxdiag report I generated that the card appears to be emulated which may be causing the problem. I don't have sound problems with any other software/games. I've checked the sound settings in the Control panel and Accessories/Entertainment/Volume Control and nothing is muted.

I've replaced the drivers again and still don't get anywhere. Any ideas? Why would the card be emulated when I've just installed it?

The dxdiag report looks like this:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit (emulated)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10061102&REV_00
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: Emulated

Cheers

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
wow, havent seen a piece of hardware show up as emulated...this gives me a headache!
while I pop some tylenol and search for what could be causing that...

did you have doom3 installed before you added the new soundcard? if so, it might need to update what devices its using. check around in the settings, there might be a way to do a refresh. re-installing over the top of doom3 might work as well. (if you try that, back up the folder where your saves are stored, just to be safe!)

everything else works through the card? that is odd. if so, I would tend to think you are OK hardware wise. you could always try uninstalling the card in device manager, then rebooting, so it would load again on the reboot. but I wouldnt do this if its working for other stuff...
try the doom3 refresh or reinstall, and let me know how that goes.

erm2706

erm2706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Removed Doom 3and re-installed. Still the same result - no sound.

I've already removed the card and re-installed it as well as attempting to update the drivers.

What is this 'emulation' and how do I get rid of it?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
out of curiosity, do you have the audio cable connnected between the cd drive and the sound card?
I havent had much luck finding info on why your card shows as emulated, I will keep looking.

erm2706

erm2706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No I haven't got any cable connected to the sound card. Should I?

(This really shows my ignorance doesn't it?!?!)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
it might help in this case. the cable should have come with the cd drive.
I am now searching around the planetdoom forums, where I am seeing many complaints about this problem. havent found a solid solution.
some things to check-
have you disabled the onboard sound in BIOS?
are you trying to run multi-channel sound? (surround) from what I saw, at least 1 person running SB live card was able to get sound by turning surround sound to off, just using stereo.

I am currently playing doom3, using an old SB live! value, stereo config. (altec 2.1 speaker system). no problems. perhaps this issue is something to do with the way surround sound is coded for this game...

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
heh heh heh...white papers are good...

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;887362

basically, go to sound and audio devices, audio tab, make sure the card is selected as the default device. you may then need to tick the "use only default device" button.

erm2706

erm2706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your ongoing help (I really need it!)

Had already disabled onboard sound and had surround sound set to off too.

I connected the cable from the cd to the sound card without any improvement.

I also reinstalled the drivers after I clicked the 'use only this device' in control panel - sounds but nothing.

Card still shown as emulated in dxdiag

Time to slit my wrists me thinks!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
bummer, I really thought one of those would have fixed it. only other idea I have now is to physically move the sound card to another PCI slot. remove it from device manager first, then power down, move the card, and give it all another go.

beyond that, you might try posting on the planetdoom forums. maybe there will be a solution I didnt find.
let us know if you find something.... :tazz:

erm2706

erm2706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

After much searching of the web, I came across what turned out to be the simplest solution you can get.

I simply changed the Sound 2 tab (modem) in dxdiag to full acceleration and the 'emulation' in Sound 1 tab for my blaster disappeared.

Doom 3 now works a treat ..

Thanks for your earlier assistance.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
wow, thanx for posting back with that! you gotta love the strange little things that can cause so much grief sometimes :tazz:

glad to hear you got it going, and I will file that fix under the strange but useful category!