Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer, XPS, typing lags!

• Please log in to reply

FlyDaddy

FlyDaddy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a new computer with Vista (yuk) 64-bit. I'm running 4GB RAM, 2.0Mhz processor, and a 256MB GeForce graphics card. One would think this would be better than the 1GB RAM XP computer I'm replacing, right? It's a Dell XPS M1530.

Typing lags terribly (on Word, IE, etc...pretty much anything).

It was doing this pretty much right out of the box. Suggestions?

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
How much stuff is in the System Tray (Notification Area) down in the lower right corner next to the clock?
How many processes are running? To check this, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc (all at the same time) to open Task Manager, then click on the Processes tab and read the number at the bottom left.

FlyDaddy

FlyDaddy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I found the solution!

It was the PCMService.exe service. I found another forum where someone was discussing the same problem. This was their problem, and once I disabled it, problem solved!

Thanks, folks! I'll tell you, I've gotten more luck from these sites than I have from the warrantee tech support I'm paying for from Dell (they just want to flash your bios and/or reinstall your OS for every problem!)

Me: "My 'J' key fell off my keyboard!"

Dell: "Let's reinstall your OS!"

For what it's worth, I have a Dell XPS M1530 with Windows Vista Premium 64-bit, 4GB RAM and a 256MB GeForce video card.

Edited by FlyDaddy, 05 May 2009 - 06:21 PM.