Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with USB

• Please log in to reply

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
All of the USB ports on my Acer laptop are not finding my flash drives. The drives are good (checked on another computer ). Windows says they are fine. I have uninstalled the drivers, and they were all re-installed when I booted the computer up. Still, they will not boot a flash drive. I do not see the light of the flash drive when it is put into the USB. Can anyone help me!

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
your laptop doesn't read USB? do you put some more info about when did it happen? some history behind this problem.

anyway while insert the USB drive you see lights on Flash drive. That mean laptops USB port is fine. Do you check on computer management. May be your flash drive assigned with other drive.

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

your laptop doesn't read USB? do you put some more info about when did it happen? some history behind this problem.

anyway while insert the USB drive you see lights on Flash drive. That mean laptops USB port is fine. Do you check on computer management. May be your flash drive assigned with other drive.

When I put the flash drive in, no lights light up. On computer management it is fine. The computer does not read the flash drive, or anything i pu into the usb ports

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

When I put the flash drive in, no lights light up. On computer management it is fine. The computer does not read the flash drive, or anything i pu into the usb ports

It happened when I put an external hard drive using the adapter into the usb port

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
seems like sysmtem's usb port is damaged. go to the device manager> on Universal serial bus controllers> remove all "usb root hub" or "intel USB Hub contoller" then restart the system from desktop try to plug the usb drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Does your external hard drive work in the USB ports?

Just to confirm.
Can you see the flash drives in computer management?
Can you see the drives when you look in "my computer"?

If they are seen/available in my computer, can you access them?

Is the problem that you are having the fact that they will not open up the auto play window?

pompanoguy

pompanoguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
[quote name='123Runner' date='May 6 2009, 04:49 AM' post='1529283']
Does your external hard drive work in the USB ports?

Just to confirm.
Can you see the flash drives in computer management?
Can you see the drives when you look in "my computer"?

If they are seen/available in my computer, can you access them?

Is the problem that you are having the fact that they will not open up the auto play window?
[/quote I have 3 USB ports on the side of my Acer laptop not working - no lights go on any flash drive, yet the device manager says they are working fine. I tried all that was suggested, and uninstalled and re-installed. Same problem. The computer cannot find the ports.

The only port working is the one on the back.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
pompanoguy,

I suspect that the ports on the laptop are blown (no good). Since they are part of the laptop mainboard, you would need to replace the board.
I want to furthure confirm this.

Initially in your 1st post you said "All of the USB ports on my Acer laptop are not finding my flash drives".
You are now stating "I have 3 USB ports on the side of my Acer laptop not working". AND "The only port working is the one on the back".

You have not answered my questions which means you do not understand, or I am not asking them correctly.

First. With the 3 that are not working. I need you to do this with all the ports that are not working.
1. Can you see the flash drives in "my computer"? Go to start....my computer
2. Can you see the flash drives in computer management? Go to start......run.....type in compmgmt.msc and click on ok. On the left side expand the storage area. Click on disk management. Is the flash drive visible?

Does your hard drive work in any of the ports?
Do the flash drives work on the port in back that you say is working?

Once these questions are answered, they I can give a more definitive answer.

123runner