Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp sp3 boots with advanced options

• Please log in to reply

blaze_1

blaze_1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I need help. I cloned my hard drive, erased the old drive, booted with the new drive.

everything was going okay until the desktop started flickering and now it boots in windows advanced options scrren every time. I tried to do a system restore and now it won't boot at all.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please be more detail by what you mean the system is not booting up. Is the system powering on or windows is not starting up? If windows where does it hang at?
Are you getting any error messages or BSOD?

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

blaze_1

blaze_1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

It is a custom build with this hardware.

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR 550W ATX from factor 12V V2.01 Power Supply - Retail

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail

COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I added this hard drive and changed to this memory.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

All drives have SATA interface and the only card is in the PCI-E slot is the video card. I started with the Seagate and had used it for about a year. It started getting full, about 27% free remaining. I purchased the new RAM and WD hard drive to increase speed and storage. I first made backup copies of all important files and apps. I then used the free Seagate disk app to clone the Seagate drive to the WD Drive. This worked fine. I then wanted to reinstall windows onto the Seagate drive (320GB) with no partitions and move certin apps to that drive and keep much of the media storage to the WD (500GB) drive. After the cloning the WD drive was only 45% full. The problem I ran into was when installing windows. I was using a slipstream CD of XP with SP3. I installed it onto the old formatted Seagate drive without realizing I hadn't disconnected the new drive. This created an OS on both drives without any intention of a dual boot system. This caused the desktop to boot up in Windows Advanced Options Screen each time. When I realized what I had done I reformatted the Seagate drive, but the problem remained. I also got several errors of .DLL files not found. I tried to find the files in safe mode to see if they could be repaired, but they were gone. I also got several errors of .DLL files not found. "error loading c:\windows\elawogijanilerih.dll the specified module could not be found"
and "c:\windows\Kcamihevurij.dll" I also recieved "InCD helper service is not started".

I read a blog about similar errors and tried to do a system restore in safe mode to a point just after I had cloned the drives. Now when it boots I only get to the windows welcome screen and nothing else.

Is there anything I can do to save the data? I forgot to backup some family pictures and other files that I want.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So if you take out the second drive will the system bootup normally or into safe mode at least?
The dual boot problem is a easy fix if that is the problem.

blaze_1

blaze_1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In answer to your question, The larger WD (500GB) cloned hard drive would boot up, only it would first open the windows advanced options. I would have to select boot windows and choose windows profesional instead of windows professional setup. It would then boot, but still gave teh .DLL errors I explained. The flickering of the desktop stopped once the old drive was reformatted. After a few boots it would only allow safe mode and that is when I tried to do a system restore, and now I only get the windows XP Welcome screen.

I assume all the data is still there. Should I try windows recovery or repair? I tried to undo the restore point, but cannot get it to boot at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here is what I suggest for you to do.
Take out the hd with windows on it now.
Take the old hd and load windows on it.
Then set the new hd on the second IDE by itself.

Boot system up with the newly loaded windows and backup
JUST THE "family pictures and other files" you want

At this point the only steps I want to take is to get a working hd with a working bootup so that you can get the pictures and data.
If you need to backup IE email messages and address go HERE and follow the steps. Remember tho you will need to do this from the second drive so make sure that all the steps are done using the second drive IE folders.

Then power down, take out the HD that is not booting correctly and reboot system. If everything at this point now boots and works correctly THEN AND ONLY THEN we can proceed.

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 May 2009 - 02:34 AM.

blaze_1

blaze_1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you, I will try that.