Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows SP2

• Please log in to reply

briandjj

briandjj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Quick question, I have a e-machines computer I purchased a few years ago. It works ok. The other day i purchased a new i pod....the version of itunes I was using needed to be updated to support the new ipod. I downloaded the new version, and it said it couldn't install because it needed windows SP2 or higher to install. So I went on microsofts website and downloaded SP2.
Seemed to download fine, restarted the computer and while it was booting up it froze on the windows screen (the one that has the bar that goes back and forth at the bottom) I then did a system recovery because I couldnt run in safe mode, and nothing else was working. I later tried to download SP2 again and I got the same result!
Is it possible that my computer is too old to support SP2...or can anyone think of some sort of solution.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:

The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots

In Addition please supply:

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started.
Any hardware installed\updated prior to problem starting.

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your computer can't be too old to run SP-2. The problem is that very often when you download SP-2 or SP-3 on long running computers the installation fail. Luckily you could recover. Very often this is not possible.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Since you didn't have SP2 installed, what firewall were you using?
...and what AV for that matter?

The very important thing, while installing any SP is to make sure, the computer is running well, is free of garbage, and malwares.