Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

• Please log in to reply

jeffing_great

jeffing_great

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

(I'm a heavy computer user but my technical knowledge is zero - so apologies if this problem is badly explained!)

So... I've got a rather worrying problem with my laptop. This afternoon I ran full system scans with SpyBot Search and Destroy and AdAware. Both programs picked up a number of 'threats'. There were 2 items that could not be fully removed until the system was restarted, so I restarted the computer.

This is when the problem started. I clicked on my username, the login process started and the windows jingle played - but all I got was a brief flash of a black screen (no desktop, no start menu, no wallpaper - completely blank!) and within seconds, it had logged me out again and I was back where I started. I also tried using the Guest account, same problem.

I've tried all the different Safe Modes, I've tried the 'last known configuration', I've tried quickly pressing ctrl+alt+dlt during login - but no joy.

Apparently it's fixable if you reboot with the XP cd and do a repair installation... but the problem is, I don't have the original CD anymore (that includes the windows ID key) I moved house recently and I can't find it anywhere. If I bought a new XP cd, would it work? Or does it need to be the same CD you installed from?

I have some very important stuff on the hard drive, not all of which is backed up. I've got a USB hard disc reader, do you think I would still be able to access the data on the hard disc? Even if it's infected with something?

Please, please... if you've got any advice for how I can solve this, I'd be so grateful. It's really stressing me out!

Advertisements