Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32.Virut.56

• Please log in to reply

edavis0780

edavis0780

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was infected with Virut about two weeks ago, and for the most part, it didnt' heavily affect the windows operations. Most of the symptoms were mainly secondary (blocked websites, help center not working, etc.). I used Dr. Web Cure It and RemoveIt Pro V.4 to scan both the running processes and all connected drives and it appears that both programs were able to effectively neutralize Virut and prevent it from running or reinstalling itself upon reboot. I do have a 1TB external that has been connected to the computer during the infection (and supposedly cleaned by Dr. Web and RemoveIt) so I am planning on backing up my data and reformatting my system in order to ensure full removal of Virut.

I would like to post a HJT and Dr. Web Log in order to ensure that my external won't simply get reinfected and would also like to scan my external to see if Virut is hiding there as well. My external mainly holds things like text files, word documents, video (QT and WMV), and photos. Thanks for reading, and please let me know if you can review and examine one or both logs.

Advertisements