Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with SATA drive

• Please log in to reply

Snacktapus

Snacktapus

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Recently my PC has been making weird noises, like a clicking noise every so often. Eventually I get a message saying a device has been unplugged which is my SATA drive. I have to open the shell up and mess about with the connection for it to work again every time..

Do you think I will need to buy a new hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

S

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The Ticking sound you hear is commonly called the ”Tick Of Death” and means that your drive is failing and will become unusable soon. I would suggest that you backup your data immediately

Can you just double check when the Clicking sound is happening and try to run it down? It is important to know if it is coming from your HD or from a Fan.

I would hate to tell you for sure that it is your drive and it may be a fan

Edited by rshaffer61, 05 May 2009 - 04:34 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Recently my PC has been making weird noises, like a clicking noise every so often. Eventually I get a message saying a device has been unplugged which is my SATA drive. I have to open the shell up and mess about with the connection for it to work again every time..

it may well be the drive dying...but can you try another sata cable first though just to make sure its NOT just the cable...
BTW...just in case it is the drive dying...backup anything you can't live without... now

Edited by happyrock, 05 May 2009 - 05:14 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This could mean that your drive is about to fail. This is a problem with the head that reads and writes off a hard disk.
You should back up everything right now.
Download Seatools.
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
I think it has a diagnostic feature that is called a "sound test" which can diagnose if the ticking is coming from your hard drive.

EDIT: Never mind about the sound test I was talking about.

Edited by edge2022, 05 May 2009 - 05:53 PM.