Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major problem - help needed

• Please log in to reply

eskilsylwan

eskilsylwan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I'm in desperate need of help. My laptop have been infected by smitfraud.c
I looked into some forums for help and started the process of trying to get rid of the nasty bugger.

After having fixed a few things with Hijack This I set my computer to reboot into safe mode by changing the configuration in msconfig.

When I rebooted my computer it does no longer accept my username or password! I only have a guest account set up on my computer (don't know why, that's the way it was set up when I got it from the previous owner). I have no clue what to do, I have tried to start the computer in some other kind of mode but I can't get through the password prompt. Also, my CD-reader does not seem to work after that I got the smitfraud.c infection. This probably means that I can't reinstall Windows either, right?

The biggest problem of all is that I have an almost finished assignment (relatively big assignment) saved on my laptop that is to be handed in tomorrow. I have no idea how to get that file.

Anyone that thinks he can help me is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Eskil

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and right after the beep tap the F8 Key until you get options, choose last known good configuration, hopefully the CD Drive will work now

If you get on with this, run Hijack This and post the log to the malware section of these forums

Hijack This

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This look at passwords

XP Passwords

eskilsylwan

eskilsylwan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried to start using the last good configuration but it doesn't work, the CD does not respond at all (can't even open it the normal way, only through the manual opening method).

The password help could unfortunately not help me since I have no other username and password than for my guest account, I have no password reset disk either.

What is your advice, what should I do?!

Regards,

Eskil

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you start in safe mode and choose administrator it either logs on or asks for a password, if admin password was not set then just press enter and it should log on.

If admin password was set, is the person who sold it to you likely to know?

I looked at password reset disks but you can only use them on the PC used to make them, and you have to be logged in to do that

eskilsylwan

eskilsylwan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice, however I panicked and let the computerstore blow my hard drive clean (got hold of the file though, they took out the hard drive and put it into another computer). That should help I think.

Regards,

Eskil

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know

Bet you either run it without a password or make a password reset disk.

This is a for a PC which is not a domain member

Password Reset Disc

Make sure you keep the disc safe as it can be used to access your PC

Apparently you would not be able to open password protected files after using a reset disc