Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with .LNK

• Please log in to reply

AdreinDark

AdreinDark

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
ive had a problem, it seems that my computer has changed all my files (including dll) to .lnk files and will not let me open any of them. i restored my computer to get rivd i f the slowness on my computer and delete unneeded files, and when my computer restartred and i had goe back in to my profiles login, everthing had changed thier codes to .LNK files and wil tel me when i try to open them that i do not have the appropriate proggram to run this, then it will give me two options,A: i can choose to go to the internet and try to find the appropriate web program or B: i can choose a file to specifically run the program. Als o on the internet i cannot click on links it wont go to the link address unless i CTRL click on it.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
*.lnk are related to temporary files. They are found in recent items, and are just temporary.

If all of your files have changed over, you have a corrupted user profile.

Please try creating a new User, as an administrator or limited account. Do you know how to do this?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

i restored my computer

How?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
The file association probably got screwed up.

Here is a link for a reg fix that will fix it: http://www.dougknox....inkfile_fix.zip

Edited by Cilix, 06 May 2009 - 02:28 PM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
:) Registry fixes are not cool.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You could try that fix, but first make sure that you have a reliable backup.
Click on "Backing Up The Registry Using ERUNT" in my sig to create a registry backup in case anything goes wrong.
Don't try the fix, till we have exhausted all other ways to fix this problem though.

The real question, is what you did to lead up to this issue. How did you restore Windows?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Just to make sure there is no confusion to the original poster

Cilix's post is perfectly safe and possibly will fix your issue, but it doesn't hurt to run ERUNT like edge has said before hand

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you Rorschach112
Just wanted to make sure that the advice would not do anything bad to the poster's computer.

AdreinDark

AdreinDark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
as a reply to all-

i restored it as you normally would, by going into the control panel, sleecting computer options and clicking restore in the upper rightof the window,

the first replier (dragon master jay) yes i know how to do that and ill try it its very possible that that could be the problem

i will also try to make a backup, but the problem is the only thing i can make withit duringthis crisis period is a data disk (would that do the trick?)

AdreinDark

AdreinDark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i cant even open the personal files, like the area you make the screen anem itself (logon name)
it tells me cannot be accessed

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hello again!
I suggest you make a backup of your registry before running the fix. This backup will be a registry file, that, if you run, will restore your registry to its original state. You will not have to burn anything.

First, you can try creating a new user as instructed by Dragonmaster Jay.
If that doesn't fix your issue, then click on "Backup Registry Using ERUNT" in my sig. Follow the instructions in that article to create a backup of your registry. After the backup is created, then you can run the fix.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

i cant even open the personal files, like the area you make the screen anem itself (logon name)
it tells me cannot be accessed

What do you mean? Is there an error message?

AdreinDark

AdreinDark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i cannot access the files and i cannot download the erunt because my computer wont open exe either T~T
im starting to think ill need to restore to factory defaults

AdreinDark

AdreinDark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yeah it says that i cannot find the appropriate service program for it and that it has beeen turned into an .lnk file as well

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Just change the file extention to .exe from .lnk
By the way, .lnk files are shortcuts.