Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Admin Problem

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I just rescued a COMPAQ Presario PC from the side of the road and have just gotten through running the built in system recovery thingy, the one that resets everything to the original factory specs, and I seem to have hit a bit of a snag.

I set up an Administrator Account and deleted the "computer owner" account.

Next I went online to download some programs that I want to use, like Anti Virus, ATF and CrapCleaner and I hit a bit of a road block in the process.

Whenever I download anything I like to stick it in a download folder. I normally have that folder located at; C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN\DOWNLOADS.

That should be simple enough...right? Well therein lies my problem, because every time that I get to the "ADMIN" part I get a nasty note, from windows, saying; C:\Documents and Settings\ADMIN is not accessible Access is denied.

So, I'm left wondering if I overlooked something or set something wrong when I setup that account.

Can any of you guys shed any light on my problem and help me out of my delima? That ADMIN account is the only account on the PC and I have it set as Administrator.

Thanks for any help with this thing.

:) Wendy

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try to take ownership of Admin folder: http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll give that a go as soon as I get off of here. I'm starting to think that I may have goofed by checking the "make folders private" when I set up the ADMIN acount.

I think that I may also have goofed when I called myself deleting the computer owner user name becayse it is still showing up when I log in. I'll try redoing the accounts first, delete the ADMIN, and rename the "computer owner" thingy ADMIN and see what happens.

I'll let you know what I did later. Thanks again.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sounds good :)

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni,

Well I've tried and I still can't make heads or tails of this. When I do START>My Computer I find myself looking at two files listed in Files Stored on This Computer. They are named Shared Documents and ADMIN'S Documents, both of which I have access to.

Then when I do START>My Computer>HP PAVILION (C:)>Documents and Settings> I'm looking at three folders, Owner, ADMIN, and All Users.

I can access the last two, however I still can't access Owners, and according to my mouse that is an empty folder. So I guess my question would be "Why can't I access or delete that folder?"

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any insight into this.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since the folder is empty, I'd simply leave it alone, and forget about it. Not worth to have a headache over some minor issue.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
I agree :) When a computer is shipped it usually has a preinstalled user account that is called "owner" or other name that common to the user. What I do is to just make my own account, as you have, and run with those settings. Broni is correct, that it is a pain to have to go in a change the file folder name to work with the current setup, but if your owner folder is empty, simply ignore it, and use your ADMIN login, that works.

Good Luck!!

Brian

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi **Brian**, Hi Broni, Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Yeah, that was my thoughts on it too. I was just wondering it I had done something wrong and had locked myself out of that sucker. Thanks again for your time and help guys.

Wendy

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Your welcome Wendy - Hopefully, the information I provided is helpful to you :)

Have a Great Day!!

Brian

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)