Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Dell Computer PAINFULLY SLOW!

• Please log in to reply

I hate Viruses!

I hate Viruses!

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,

I've been given the arduous task of sorting out my mother's computer that has almost completely ground to a halt. To open an Internet browser takes up to 10 minutes to load. Although relatively computer literate, I don't really know the best way to go about working out what the problem is and how to fix it.

I shall give as much information as possible which may help initial prognosis.

It's a Dell Dimension DE051
Intel ®
Celeron ® CPU 2.89GHz
2.79GHz, 256MB of RAM

Operating System is XP Home Edition
The computer is about 2 years old
Hard Drive size is 71.4GB with 41.2GB free

Some issues I surmise it could be are;
1. Too much Anti-virus software- on the computer there is;
Ad-aware
AVG Free
Spybot Search and Destroy
The Shield Firewall
McAfee has bee removed.

2. Open Office was recently installed.

3. Both Safari and Internet Explorer are on the computer, could that cause problems? Though I know Apple Macs that have both on with no issues.

4. The Shield firewall. I don't know this program, but want to know if any of the other Anti-Virus software include a firewall as it seems to always pop up and in my opinion is quite an intrusive program.

5. Maybe there is a virus or other malware on the computer but I don't know

6. It occasionally throws up a message stating the virtual memory is too low.

7. My new laptop is 4GB RAM, is it really the case that the RAM for the computer in question is only 256MB???

Many thanks in advance to anyone that helps. She's getting very frustrated by the whole thing so if I could resolve the problem with your help, it would make her week.

R

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
I hate viruses!,

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions and get some more information that might help us determine the problem.

Some issues I surmise it could be are;
1. Too much Anti-virus software- on the computer there is;
Ad-aware
AVG Free
Spybot Search and Destroy
The Shield Firewall
McAfee has bee removed.

The biggest conflict here would have been AVG Free and McAfee. Are you sure that McAfee is fully removed? Ad-aware is an on-demand scanner, and Spybot is as well, unless Teatimer has been activated. I don't know anything about The Shield firewall - it's not one that I see recommended around here.

The Shield firewall. I don't know this program, but want to know if any of the other Anti-Virus software include a firewall as it seems to always pop up and in my opinion is quite an intrusive program.

I've read some older reviews about it that says it doesn't allow exclusions, so that it pops up all the time asking if it should allow programs. Again, as I'm not familiar with it, I can't address that, but we could look at uninstalling it and trying one of the recommended free versions.

Both Safari and Internet Explorer are on the computer, could that cause problems? Though I know Apple Macs that have both on with no issues.

That shouldn't be a factor - most people I know have multiple browsers installed, sometimes 3 or more.

Maybe there is a virus or other malware on the computer but I don't know

There's not enough information here to try and make that determination. Any pop-ups or redirects or strange programs that you may not recognize? We can't address that here, but if you feel there is, then we'll send you to the malware forum to make that final determination.

It occasionally throws up a message stating the virtual memory is too low.

I don't know as much about this area - it may be related to some of the other issues though.

My new laptop is 4GB RAM, is it really the case that the RAM for the computer in question is only 256MB???

Yes, that's quite possible, and it's certainly not going to help with performance. That's not even the recommended amount for running XP.

How was McAfee uninstalled? Also, what version of McAfee was it? We could try running the removal tool to see if it removes anything else - it's possible there is still a running service that is conflicting with AVG.

Would it be possible for you to upgrade the RAM? If you're comfortable doing that, then we could see what that does to help performance.

I'm going to ask some of the techs here for suggestions too - I think we need to look at both applications and hardware to see what needs to be done.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Let me throw this in too - this is an excellent tutorial on maintenance procedures you can perform to increase your system performance.