I've been given the arduous task of sorting out my mother's computer that has almost completely ground to a halt. To open an Internet browser takes up to 10 minutes to load. Although relatively computer literate, I don't really know the best way to go about working out what the problem is and how to fix it.
I shall give as much information as possible which may help initial prognosis.
It's a Dell Dimension DE051
Celeron ® CPU 2.89GHz
2.79GHz, 256MB of RAM
Operating System is XP Home Edition
The computer is about 2 years old
Hard Drive size is 71.4GB with 41.2GB free
Some issues I surmise it could be are;
1. Too much Anti-virus software- on the computer there is;
Spybot Search and Destroy
The Shield Firewall
McAfee has bee removed.
2. Open Office was recently installed.
3. Both Safari and Internet Explorer are on the computer, could that cause problems? Though I know Apple Macs that have both on with no issues.
4. The Shield firewall. I don't know this program, but want to know if any of the other Anti-Virus software include a firewall as it seems to always pop up and in my opinion is quite an intrusive program.
5. Maybe there is a virus or other malware on the computer but I don't know
6. It occasionally throws up a message stating the virtual memory is too low.
7. My new laptop is 4GB RAM, is it really the case that the RAM for the computer in question is only 256MB???
Many thanks in advance to anyone that helps. She's getting very frustrated by the whole thing so if I could resolve the problem with your help, it would make her week.