Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

F2, F8, and F12 keys don't work during bootup

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I just purchased the Trust KB-2200 Multimedia Scroll Keyboard. I had problems with it at first, but I fixed everything and the keyboard works fine now. However, there is one last problem I'm having.

When I boot up, the computer doesn't recognize the F2 (BIOS settings), F8 (Safe mode), or F12 (Boot menu) keys. I know this will come back to haunt me in the future. The Trust online tech support has not been helpful. Before I installed the new Trust keyboard, I had no problem using the F2, F8, or F12 keys when booting up, but now they don't work. I want to know how to get them to work during bootup.

Note: The keyboard has an ''F'' key that toggles the Function keys between normal mode and special mode. In special mode, the function keys carry out pre-programmed actions instead of acting as normal function keys. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but when in Windows, the ''F'' key is off by default and the function keys behave normally.

For the record, I have already tried just pressing the F2 key and also pressing the special F key and then the F2 key during bootup and neither method works.

Any help would be appreciated.

My computer setup is below:

Dell 531s Computer
Athlon Core 2-Duo CPU
4 GB DDR2 RAM
500 GB SATA hard drive
Windows XP (SP3)
I have already installed the Trust 15036_01 driver.

Thank you.

Dominick Fontana

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the bios and see if you can enable the function keys...
nojoy..
a workaround...keep a spare usb or PS/2 keyboard on hand for the rare times you would need it to access the bios or safe mode..ect...
never hurts to have a extra keyboard laying around...
I'm not familiar with the Trust KB-2200 Multimedia Scroll Keyboard...but it sounds like the function keys is only loading after windows is booted

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, happyrock and thanks for the reply.

I do have a couple of spare keyboards lying around in case of an emergency. I already checked the Phoenix BIOS and there is no option to enable the function keys. And you're right, it does seem as if the function keys are not loading until after it boots into Windows. Also, for the record, it is a wired USB keyboard.

What bothers me is that according to Trust tech support, they said nobody else has really reported this problem, so I'm thinking it might be a problem with my configuration and not the keyboard. I think it might have something to do with which USB port is used.

I have a 7-port USB hub plugged into one of the rear USB ports on the computer. The computer only came with 6 USB ports: 4 in the back and 2 in the front. So I bought the hub. It is an AC-powered hub. So I have 3 USB devices plugged in the rear, plus the 7-port hub and the hub is plugged into an AC outlet for power. The 2 front USB ports are unused.

Maybe if I say what I have plugged in, it will help. Note one thing. To troubleshoot, I already did plug the Trust keyboard into a front USB port and it didn't fix the problem.

Here's my USB setup. All devices are USB. No adapters are being used.

4 Rear USB Ports:
1) Trust Keyboard
2) Mouse
3) Logitech RumblePad (gamepad)
4) 7-port USB adapter

In the 7-port adapter I have:
LinkSys WUSB300N Wireless Network Adapter
Dock for Seagate Free Agent removable hard drive (uses 2 USB ports)

That leaves 4 unused USB ports on the adapter and 2 unused ports on the front of the computer.

I had some funny behavior with the mouse and LinkSys wireless adapter depending on which USB port they were plugged into, so I'm thinking it might be something similar with the keyboard.

Thanks for any help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for starters ...those usb Wireless Network Adapters usually don't work at all plugged into a usb hub or you start having intermittent connection issues when they do work...best to plug that into a usb slot thats on the mobo itself...try not to even use a PCI USB slot if possible...also don't connect printers or scanners to hubs or you can have the same range of issues with them...

What bothers me is that according to Trust tech support, they said nobody else has really reported this problem, so I'm thinking it might be a problem with my configuration and not the keyboard.

maybe nobody else has noticed the problem or they (Trust tech support) lie...
another option is your having IRQ issues with so many usb devices plugged in...To troubleshoot...try unplugging all of them except the keyboard and see if the problem goes away...
another test to see if its a configuration issue...plug in a different keyboard and see if the problem goes away
the workaround is ...if you ever need to use the function keys to access the bios or for whatever is to plug in a another keyboard

just a little heads up for the Dock for Seagate Free Agent removable hard drives...ALWAYS USE THE SAFELY REMOVE ICON in the system tray BEFORE disconnecting it/them...YES I know they are supposed to be hot swappable...even did it myself for several years ...BUT I have had clients that did not use it and then the drives were dead...no tricks or tools I have would read them ever again...gone...trash...
consider yourself warned...
I even use it for my flash drives because I have read about other people having issues with their flash drives because they did not use the safely remove icon

Edited by happyrock, 07 May 2009 - 07:12 AM.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hi, HR.

You know your avatar looks like the actor Kurt Russell. That's a compliment.

I've been lucky with the Linksys Adapter. It works beautifully. The funny thing is when I had it plugged into a dedicated USB port in the back, the computer wouldn't boot up. I had to unplug it for the ciomputer to boot, then reconnect. When I plugged the adapter into the hub, then the problem went way.

Yes, when I use one of my older keyboards (PS/2 with USB adapter), it works perfectly. I will unplug everything and try it with just the new keyboard and see what happens. There does seem to be a bit of a mess with the USB configuration though. In Device Manager, under USB Controllers, I have these 8 entries:

CA-200
Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

It's funny that you mention the Safely Remove Hardware Icon because people make fun of me. I always use that for both the hard drive and my flash drive and they think I'm being too cautious. But I figure, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I never liked the way PCs were made. My old Atari and Amiga computers were a lot better, but they're not around anymore.

I'll try a few things and get back to you, but thank you very much for spending all this time and trying to help me. I appreciate it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Do you know of any way I can troubleshoot my USB configuration that I have listed above?

Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what problems are you experiencing...

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
The problems are the fact that the Trust keyboard isn't recognized during bootup, plus all the other finicky behavior with my USB devices. I think it has something to do with the USB configuration. In my message above I listed the 8 entries that are under USB Controllers in Device Manager. There seems to be something wrong. I don't know why there are 8 entries and why some entries are repeated.

With my stock computer (4 rear and 2 front) USB ports, how many entries shoild there be? Then, when I add the 7-port USB hub, how many entries should that add?

I don't know that much about it, but in Device Manager under USB Controllers, shouldn't that just be lisiting the USB hubs and controllers. I don't know why I have so many entries and I think that's causing a conflict.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back to the device manager...look for any yellow or red ! or ? or x...none... then click on the view tab...click on ...resources by connection...click the plus beside IRQ...get a screenshot for me

Edited by happyrock, 07 May 2009 - 12:49 PM.

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Okay, HR. I'll send it to you when I get home. I'm not responding from my home computer right now.

Thanks for your help.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
No, there are no warnings in device manager.

Here is the screen shot you requested:

IRQ.jpg

Also, here is a screen shot of the USB Controllers, sorted by type:

USB_Type.jpg

I don't know if you can see it. It's very small. I tried different resolutions, but it always is displayed small in the message. Let me know if you need me to upload it again and tell me how to make it bigger.

Thanks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you post the screenshot it appears small but when you click on it expands...try it...

The only thing that usb should share IRQ's with... is PCI steering...
you do not appear to have any conflicts going on...
the finicky behavior with your USB devices is probably due to the number of usb devices you have...and the fact that when you change slots will sometimes get them working right means that when you change slots they are reassigned a different IRQ..

An IRQ is is really an Interrupt Request line. In the case of expansion boards, it is an actual contact (finger) on the board, and it is a corresponding pin in the sockets on the bus connected by a trace on the motherboard. A device sends a interrupt to the motherboard's interrupt circuitry by changing the voltage level on the interrupt request line. This voltage change acts via interrupt controller circuitry to interrupt the processor to service the device needing the CPU's attention... for example, a serial port is receiving data from a MODEM, it can't wait until it's buffer overflows for the CPU, etc. to come to its assistance. The CPU will then temporally store the program and data it is working on in an area of memory know as the stack and load a routine (program) to service the interrupting device, service the device (move that data out of its buffer, etc.), and then restore the program and data it was previously working on and resume what it was doing. A CPU can be interrupted many times a second--a complicated affair when one considers that a CPU can be working on one interrupt request and be interrupted in this task by still another IRQ request of a higher priority, etc... and that it usually does all of this juggling without losing a beat or data.
keyword here is usually
Devices can share IRQs but only when they are NOT active at the same time...so to simplify ...if you have lots of usb devices trying to do lots of things at the same time...you can/will have slowdowns and issues...
this should make it clear as mud ... :)

Edited by happyrock, 08 May 2009 - 07:31 AM.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Oh, I didn't know that. It looks good when you click on it.

What about those 8 entries I have for the USB Controllers. Are they all supposed to be there?

I right-clicked on each one and selected properties and it showed what was connected to each entry. Could this help me in any way?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

What about those 8 entries I have for the USB Controllers. Are they all supposed to be there?
yep

I right-clicked on each one and selected properties and it showed what was connected to each entry. Could this help me in any way?
nope