Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

F2, F8, and F12 keys don't work during bootup

• Please log in to reply

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Okay, I have something to report, HR.

I followed your advice and unplugged everything but the keyboard, and the Function keys still didn't work doing bootup. I tried it in every port, but no luck.

Advertisements

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
If you're interested, the Trust keyboard is a fancy keyboard. Here's the link to show you the general features of the keyboard.

http://www.trust.com...x...6&cxt=keyfs

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope...not interested...but maybe someone else is....
the cordless keyboard and mouse combo I have had for the last 7 years has all the bells and whistles but I only use maybe 25 % of those...

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Oh, I wasn't trying to show off the keyboard. I just thought maybe knowing how the function keys had a toggle switch to toggle between the standard function keys and preprogrammed special MS Office functions might help diagnose the problem, so we could fix it.

Okay, thanks.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 08 May 2009 - 08:28 AM.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Okay, I guess at this point, nobody is able to offer any further assistance. Here's one last thing to mention.

When I got the keyboard last month, I had the same problem at first, but I was still tweaking things on my new computer. Then all of a sudden, the computer DID recognize the function keys during bootup. I don't know what I did, but the keyboard worked fine. So it is definitely possible for the computer to recognize the function keys during bootup.

Unfortunately, I ran into an unrelated problem and had to reinstall Windows. Now, I have the same problem with the function keys during bootup.

The bottom line is it is definitely possible for the computer to recognize the function keys during bootup because it did during my initial installation of the new computer. However, I don't know what I did to make it work the first time and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

The Trust software is just to configure some of the multimedia keys on the keyboard. It uses standard Windows drivers and when I tried to update it, it said I had the latest keyboard driver.

The only thing I am thinking is that I have the Logitech RumblePad gamepad. In Device Manager, besides being listed under Gamepads, it's also listed as an HID Compliant Device under the Mouse and Keyboard entries. I guess because the gamepad can emulate the mouse and keyboard when playing games.

Could this have anything to do with the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Dom Fontana, 09 May 2009 - 06:24 AM.

Dom Fontana

Dom Fontana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Well, I guess nobody here can help me. Thanks to those who tried. I'll get to the bottom of this (I hope) and then as a courtesy, I'll post here how I solved the problem, so you can help someone else with the same or a similar problem.

Thanks.