Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAD_POOL_CALLER, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGE_AREA

• Please log in to reply

csuiter

csuiter

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have been getting these two messages when I try to start up my PC. It is running windows xp home edition. I can not get the computer to boot regularly or in safe mode. I have attempted to research the problem a little bit, and I have found that it should be related to either a hardware or software installation. The only program I have installed in the last month is a molecular modelling program (Hyperchem 8.0). I could remove the program but it will not allow me to boot in safe or any other mode. The problem occured when I opened the internet browser. The computer froze and nothing would work. I restarted the computer by holding down the power button.

Thank you for your help

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Can you boot to Windows at all?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang a a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

csuiter

csuiter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Broni, the computer will not boot windows at all.

happy rock, i borrowed a windows xp installation disc from the lab and I also downloaded the programs you mentioned. I will try this as soon as I get home.

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
my experience with the BAD_POOL_CALLER error has not been good...usually means the HD is dead...chkdsk can fix minor issues...thats about all...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You may even want to run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 before you waste time on anything else.