Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repairing Windows XP without a CD?

• Please log in to reply

shaly777

shaly777

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have apparently been infected (well, my computer has) with this VirusPro2009 or whatever it's called. I have been experiencing all kinds of crazy stuff for more than 2 weeks now. Many wonderful people from Yahoo Answers and elsewhere have tried to help me (which is precisely how I got to you guys!) : http://answers.yahoo...05160131AAooV8s
That's a link to a secession of links describing my problems over the past two weeks and the advice I have been given.
I've run a few scans and been in on safe mode (actually I'm writing in safe mode right now). I am using McAfee because it came with the internet package. I am on an old computer (Dell Dimension 2400). My daughter received it from her Dad when it was brand new, but we have misplaced the disk. About a year ago a friend of hers helped her start Windows fresh via the Fkeys. She doesn't remember any of the instructions though. Does anyone have any idea what that procedure might have been? Or even better does anyone have a solution for this bug problem? Don't have money to spend on it, or we would. I'm hoping I can manually do the work myself if someone can tell me what to do. Any additional information you need as to readings in TaskMan processes or Registry, I will provide.

If not I would at least like to find out how to just start all over WITHOUT A DISK.

Thank you so much!

:)

Edited by shaly777, 06 May 2009 - 03:31 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A Windows Repair isn't going to disinfect a computer.
If you have a branded computer such as Acer, Packard Bell, Compaq/HP, Dell etc then these usually have their own recovery partition software available hence no need for a disk. You usually start these off by pressing ALT+F2, F11, F10 or whatever, they'll wipe the computer and put a fresh installation back.

For most Dells if you start to press CTRL+F11 repeatedly after the Dell screen disappears it usually starts off the Recovery. Failing that an option should be available on the Start Menu.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok...so are you saying the computer will self explain what I should do? Or what?
Sorry...but I'm just trying to know a little of what I'm doing before I get in there and
mess it up any worse. :) Thanks!

Edited by shaly777, 06 May 2009 - 03:52 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Why don't you....

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a OTListIt2 log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a OTListIt2 log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Yesterday I removed the McAfee and replaced it with Avast. When I ran Avast it seemed to clear out ALOT of stuff that McAfee didn't!? But there were some places that it said were password protected? What does that mean? It seems to be doing ok now, but it's only been one day. For safety sake should I go ahead and do the things you advised? Or should I leave well enough alone for now? :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You've made very wise decision. McAfee is a horrible program.

there were some places that it said were password protected

It's normal.

I'd still go ahead with my previous advice. Better safe, than sorry :)

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi! Ok...a moment ago as I was writing my 'Praise Report' to you...my computer gave me a window saying they were shutting down due to an instruction from NT system. It came back on though. So I don't know what that was about, but...I had just run the F-Secure Online Scanner which I didn't really like...I don't think :)

Well, first let me return to completing my 'Praise report'....
It began...I have:
1-Run the ATF Cleaner which was exciting...it said it cleaned out over 300.000 mb!!
2-Downloaded and ran ERUNT
3-I have Malwarebytes' setup on my computer (which I LOVE)
4-I have Avast! Antivirus protecting my computer (it's GREAT!...so far)
5- I have Windows set to automatically install updates

and I was running the F-Secure when PC shut off.???
Is a program like that even necessary with avast & malwarebytes running?

So, Based on the list above have I done all you have suggested?
And two more questions:
Any ideas as to why NT System shut down my computer?
and...
With avast! do I need additional protection such as listed on this page:
Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software, Includes screenshots and recommendations?
http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

Thanks SO much!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
If you have Avast, then you're fine, but you have to go back to malware forum, and go through all steps, including posting OTListIt2 log, and those guys will make sure, your computer is clean.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok...I went back to malware forum, picking up where I left off, with the rootkit detector: ran it.
Then ran the OTLI2. So I now have three logs:
rooter;OTListIt.Txt and Extras.Txt. But it says in that forum:

Note : Post both logs, the Rooter and the OTLI one

OTLI1? I don't know what that is. I didn't run anything to create that?
Are those three logs all I need? Or am I missing something?
Thank you so much!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, no, it says OTLI one, means OTLI2 log. You're fine.

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
:) LOL...Ok, thanks!
The great value of having my computer back in proper condition pales in comparison to your kindness and generosity!
THANK YOU! :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
Did you post those logs there?

shaly777

shaly777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I did. Three of them. extras, OT & rooter.... and I told them you sent me! :)
My computer is running considerably better already, but I'm sure there's some little devil inside there somewhere lurking around...so hopefully, with yall's help I'll be able to locate it and KILL IT!! :)
I don't know how it started...I think a combination of McAfee & Limewire and disabling the firewall to upgrade the Limewire...and it started going downhill from there. Ya think that could've been it?

Well, thanks again!!!! Shannon!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very possible. Disabling firewall is never a good idea.
Now, it's up to malware guys to finish up all cleaning.
Good luck :)