Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disconnect Router

• Please log in to reply

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have been trying to play Counter Strike for ages. I have a problem, and the counterstrike help pages suggest disconnecting my router from my modem. Easier said than done.

I have established that the little black box next to my comp is my router. The words "ADSL ROUTER" on the bottom gave it away. But how do I disconnect it? It is connected to my computer by a network cable, and it is then connected through a hole in the wall by a telephone cable. If I connect the hole in the wall to my (internal) modem, all I get is a dialup connection.

How do I disconnect my router? How is my router connected to my computer anyway? It isn't there in "my computer"! I can't find any reference to it in "My Network connections" either!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello maxiewawa,
Your 'ADSL Router' is in actual fact a router and a modem -- therefore, unless you wish to break open your router, it will be very difficult to disconnect it from the modem.
I presume that the reason they told you to disconnect your router is because of it's firewall; however, rather than disconnecting your router, you can simply open the required ports that CS uses.
Can you please tell me the name and/or model of your router? It should state the name on the 'little black box'.
Once I know the name and model of your ADSL Router, I will be able to walk you through the process of opening the necessary ports.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hmmm... my router/modem is a cheap one I think, and has "Digi Vision" on the front. Any more information needed? I can't the model anywhere, but maybe this, from the COunterstrike FAQs can be of some help:

If you're sure that your 'Net connectivity is functioning but you are still unable to log in to Steam, it may be because the required ports are blocked by a device on your network (such as a router).

The following ports must be "open":
UDP 1200
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Yes maxiewawa that is the problem -- however, I can not tell you how to open those ports unless I know the make and model of your router. Please visit: http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm, and scan through the list of routers that are on that page -- does your 'little black box' have any of those names on it? If there is a match, click on the link, and it will display detailed instructions on how to forward ports for your Router.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
It's not on the list :tazz:

I have the instructions here, though. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, it's all in Chinese (not surprising as I'm in China).

Is there no way for me to find out which port without consulting a manual/the internet?

Thanks muchly

Max

EDIT....

After looking around portforward.com, and my chinese manual, I've decided it's too much effort... I've managed to open up the router in explorer, after finding the IP address in the manual. It's all in Chinese. No, worse than that, it won't even encode into Chinese, and reads as gobbledygook. For example:

µ±ADSLÆô¶¯½øÐÐPPPÁ¬½Ó

Aaaaaah *tears out hair in frustration*

But thanks anyway!

Edited by maxiewawa, 11 May 2005 - 04:58 AM.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok.

I'm going to master this. If the game is half as challenging as the hoops I'm going through to get it running, I should be playing it for decades.

I have found a page with gobbledygook, with the letters "UDP" and "TCP" in it. Also, is "Ö÷»úIPµØÖ", undoubtedly martian for "IP address". All the clues indicate that this is the page for opening ports.

Now, portforward.com suggests that in the 'IP Address' window of the port forwarding page, that "This should be the ip address of the computer you want to forward these ports to."

Hmmm... where would I find this IP address? I'm trying to log onto different game servers, so what to do?

I'm going to conquer this!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I'm going to master this.

Good to hear.
You can find your IP Address by clicking on Start, then selecting Run. A little box will open up, into which you should type: cmd -- this will then take you to Command Prompt; now, type: ipconfig /all
It will display your current connection, and you should see:
IP Address ........ YOUR IP ADDRESS
Just copy your ip address into that box.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I don't know what I'm doing...

There are 4 boxes in the page where I open up ports. One, I assume, is the beginning of the range, the last is the end, one is the IP address, but I don't know what the last is.

I'm still having problems in the game. :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Alright, I think you're going to have to make more than one entry.
*Note: It might help if you take a screen shot of your setup page, and attach it.
The first entry:
Beginning of range: 1200
End of range: Leave blank (or put 1200 in again) -- depends on your router.
You should have a little scroll down box, from which you can select UDP -- if not, simply type 'UDP' in that last box.
IP: Your ip address.

Second Entry:
Beginning of range: 27000
End of range: 27015
Select UDP.
IP: Your IP again..

Third Entry:
Beginning of range: 27030
End of range: 27039
Select TCP.
IP: Your IP again..

The fourth box (if it is infront of the beginning and ending port ranges) might just be for a title, ie: Counter Strike.

Edited by Dan G, 12 May 2005 - 04:47 AM.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I can't add the third entry. Adding the 1st and 2nd without the third doesn't seem to be helping.

How do I take a screenshot? There's nothing in it in WinXP help... And I've tried to get a translation on the gobbledygook but it seems to be hopeless.

Is it possible I'm in the wrong screen? Would UDP and TCP be used for anything else?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Above your arrow keys, there are a bunch of keys -- one of them should say 'Print Screen' (next to Backspace?). Just press the button and save it some where, then attach it on your next post. I'd like to see your setup page so that I can compare yours with mine.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nothing is working.

Print Screen button does nothing, and ctrl +p won't let me print to file unless I install a printer (that option is blacked out).

5 minutes later....

Just downloaded some crappy program for capturing images. I've attached it. Or rather, I'm attempting to attach it right now. Let's hope nothing else goes wrong...

Attached Thumbnails

• page.jpg

Edited by maxiewawa, 13 May 2005 - 03:39 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That extra box has me stumped.. I can't for the life of me think what it could be used for :tazz:
Try this:
First box: 1
Second box: Counter Strike
Third box: 1200
Fourth box: 1200
Select UDP
Fifth box: Your IP.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No luck. It looks like they all have to be numbers.

Public/private ports?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Just try putting 1200 in all three of those middle boxes :tazz:
--One of them has to work!