Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Launch Pad Icons: Trivial problem.

• Please log in to reply

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3.

I can live with this, but it is annoying.

I keep about 12 Large Icons on my launch Pad in two rows.

For a long time, they were sorted to a sequence I wanted.

Recently, they get rearranged. Also, it seems difficult to rearrange them to the desired order. When I move one, others change position in an unexpected manner.

Is there an article some where or a help topic which would explain how to easily arrange these icons & keep them in the desired arrangement?

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Are you referring to the quick launch area next to the Start button?

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes. It is the Tool Bar near the Start Button.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put your Mouse Cursor at the top of the Toolbar and it will change to a Double Arrow.
Click and Hold the left mouse button and drag the toolbar down to a smaller size. This will shrink everything back to normal. Then right click on the desktop where there are no icons and then click on Refresh.
This will hold the settings every time you reboot.
Let us know how it works.

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 May 2009 - 07:51 AM.

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
R Shaffer61: Thanx for your reply.

It might work for a single row of Icons, but does not work for a double row.

When I logged on a few minutes ago, the Icons were rearranged.

It seems that there is some file or algortihm used to arrange those Icons on startup, but at some time in the past, I think they kept their positions for at least a few weeks.

I have not checked the option for grouping similar items. I keep the taskbar locked & auto-hiidden

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Go to that directory. Then change to the order of applications you want. Then reboot.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Strange problem, the items shouldnt be getting re arranged. Try unlocking the taskbar, rearranging the icons (drag and drop) in the order you prefer then re locking the taskbar. Then reboot

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Edge2022: The folder you mentioned seems to be an ordinary folder containing Shortcut files. I know of no way to arbitrarily rearrange the files in a folder.

LoopHole: Your suggestion might work. I will give it a try. If the icons are controlled by the sequence in the file mentioned by Edge2022, I do not think it will will work, but maybe there is some hidden magic functioning.

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
LoopHole: Your suggestion worked. Thanx.

BTW: Arranging Icons on the Launch pad takes a bit of work. At least on my system with 18 icons in two rows, there seems to be some resistance to arranging them. Sometimes, I get them almost arranged & one or two of them move when I put another one in place.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see that you have resolved your problem. :)
You can change the view of a folder to "Tiles" and then change the arrangement of the shortcuts there, although I was not so sure that that was going to work, since I never use quick launch.

You can try this awesome utility called Launchy. It is an indispensible program that will eliminate the trouble of looking though the start menu for the program you want to run. After using it for a few days, I felt that I couldn't use my computer without it. Check it out here: http://www.launchy.net/
Or here at Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.n...rojects/launchy

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Edge2022: Downloaded & will try Launchy. Most of the time I launch application from the Quick Launch Tool Bar.

Unless you are in a different time zone, you are a bit of a night owl like me. Your last post was at 1:30 AM EST (I am in Eastern USA).

BTW: I use a utility called Ztree which is a file manager with some very useful functions. It has a small cult of dedicated users, mostly those of us who ran DOS many years ago. Ztree is a Windows version of DOS Xtree. It requires a bit of a learning curve to discover its most useful freatures. It is easy to learn by fooling with it.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
My time zone is PST, and :) I am a night owl.
I'll check out Ztree. It looks cool. :)

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Changing the order of the files in the quick launch folder doesn't work in this case as the preferences of the order of the quick launch arent directly attributed to that folder. Its just a housing location for the shortcuts.

I use a utility called Ztree which is a file manager with some very useful functions. It has a small cult of dedicated users, mostly those of us who ran DOS many years ago. Ztree is a Windows version of DOS Xtree. It requires a bit of a learning curve to discover its most useful freatures. It is easy to learn by fooling with it.

I will have to try that out. Although DOS is gone (it's called command prompt now) I actually like using it. Once accustomed to it its actually quicker to use than a GUI for me.

Edge, I like the Zlaunchy utility. Didn't know about that one :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Changing the order of the files in the quick launch folder doesn't work in this case as the preferences of the order of the quick launch arent directly attributed to that folder. Its just a housing location for the shortcuts.

Thank you for the info. :)

Ztree is a little too complicated for me even though it works faster than a graphical explorer.
I suggest you check out today's giveaway: http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/
It is 100% legal.