Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

General Question about a laptop

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Is it normal for the laptop to get very hot. When its on my desk I have it sitting on the laptop cooler so I never notice how hot it gets but when its on my lap, that's another story. The hot air that blows out of the back is really hot. Obviously its where the CPU is but is it suppose to be that hot? Hot enough to not want it on my lap when Im wearing shorts?

If it means anything, the laptop is brand new, about a month old. HP dx1245 ( i think. )

I know this is a stupid question but I had to ask to just play it safe.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The stupid question is the one not asked.

There's a reason there is a subtle push to phase out the term "laptop" in favor of "notebook" - you should never use a notebook on your lap, but always on a flat, hard surface so air can circulate underneath. They do get hot. If this is hotter than normal, then perhaps a good cleaning is necessary. Sadly, this is not a user friendly task, but one that still needs to be done frequently. Just like a PC, notebooks have fans that draw in dust and dirt along with the air.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

The stupid question is the one not asked.

There's a reason there is a subtle push to phase out the term "laptop" in favor of "notebook" - you should never use a notebook on your lap, but always on a flat, hard surface so air can circulate underneath. They do get hot. If this is hotter than normal, then perhaps a good cleaning is necessary. Sadly, this is not a user friendly task, but one that still needs to be done frequently. Just like a PC, notebooks have fans that draw in dust and dirt along with the air.

Thanks Dig. I haven't had a notebook in so long, honestly like...10 years. This one just seems to blow out hot air and wanted to make sure it was normal. If I have to take it apart to clean it, I know how to do that so we're good.

Thanks again :)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
And Besides the fact that a desktop is held stationary ( In one place ) , however a laptop is carried all over the place ( in all kinds of condition's )

Just my 2 cents lol

Anthony19

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

And Besides the fact that a desktop is held stationary ( In one place ) , however a laptop is carried all over the place ( in all kinds of condition's )

Just my 2 cents lol

Anthony19

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Most PCs are on or near the floor. This is where foot traffic stirs up dust that can be sucked into the PC. PCs have more and bigger fans. So PCs need more frequent cleaning. I recommend opening the sides of PCs and visually inspect once a month, then clean as necessary. Now if you smoke around your notebook, or let your cat lay on or near it, then a notebook would need more frequent cleaning.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I can agree with that

I do not smoke near pc

And

My tower is on the desk

Anthony19

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My tower is on the desk

That helps with dust, but does not prevent dust build up - it just means you don't have to break your back picking the PC up to lug it out the door for cleaning. :)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
:)

Too Right...

In General though, This Computer is Cleaned Regularly... By me :) ( With Compressed air )

So very minimal build up should ever occur anyway...

( I Run Speed Fan , And everest Every now and then ( weekly ) )

Just to keep an eye on the operating temps :)

Anthony19

laptopfan76

laptopfan76

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If your laptop is getting too hot then there are ways in which to cool it down. As Digerati says in an earlier post it's best to have your laptop on a "flat, hard surface so air can circulate". This article offers an explanation as why your laptop may be overheating and provide some tips to keep the computer cool - electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/how-to-keep-laptop-cool.htm

Matthew
HP

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, didn't get notice of anthony's reply. :)

I use compressed air too - just make if using a compressor, it is setup with a water and particle filter. Compressors can spew out some pretty nasty stuff. If using compressed dusting gas from cans, I still recommend taking the computer outside - no need to blow all that stuff in the air only to get sucked back into the computer, or sinuses.

I recommend using a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Good Suggestion

Anthony19

PS: Yes i use water and particle filter :)

Water and electronics never go well with each other lol ( Hard to get the smoke back in once it comes out... )

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Hard to get the smoke back in once it comes out...

:) Especially with burning eyes and pinching your nose shut with one hand.