Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MELTDOWN PLZ HELP

• Please log in to reply

Gallager

Gallager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, im Jon and im a newb here but i dont know where else to turn. My PC had been hit with some malware ( happens often as i have no firewalls and such) and i proceeded to remove said malware with "superantispyware" which has ALWAYS come through for me in the past. The scan completed and asked me to reboot so of course...i did. Upon reboot my system boots up and starts to proceed normally then...We apologize for the inconvenience but windows failed yata yata yata. So i get this screen with different options like safe mode and safe mode with networking, start windows normally etc. No matter what option i pick the same screen comes back up and the cycle starts over again. I first called the geeksquad and they said well im gonna have to reformat. This is not possible. Im an artist and i have WAAAAY too much of my life stuck in this machine. Im making this post on my laptop btw. So anyway after a google search of the issue i found this site along with others dealin with the same or similar issues. From what i read it would seem to me that the antispyware messed up my registry somewhere and that my PC isnt completely FUBAR. My problem is that i dont read computer language very well so i havent been able to fix the problem unassisted. Any help would be great as there are files on my PC that can not be replaced.

Advertisements

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Gallager, and Welcome to the Geeks to Go forum.

Cant help with your loss but I can suggest that you install a good firewall and get a good AV program too. You can get COMODO and ZONE ALARM firewalls for FREE, and COMODO even comes with a free AV program in it.

An ounce of prevention beats [bleep] out of losing all of your stuff.

Good Luck.

Wendy

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

the same screen comes back up and the cycle starts over again.

What is on this screen? We can always get your files back. Just click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig and follow the instructions.

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
screen says this:
We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

considering that this happened after i used a malware removal program i suspect that the program injured my registry somewhere i just dont know how to fix it

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you have your Windows CD?
If so, the click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig, and follow the instructions.

If you don't have the CD then click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig, and follow the steps to make a bootable disc. Then use this disc with the link.

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I dont have the original cd so im trying to get around that issue at the moment

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i seem to have hit another wall. The only computer i have access to at the moment is a mac and the program i need to write that file is only for pc.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Download the disc image and burn it with Mac's built in image burning program.
http://lifehacker.co...disc-251758.php
Read that for detailed instructions.

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah i used disk utility to burn the cd then i follwed the directions in your link but....no dice. The recovery thing said it found a working version of windows on my hard drive and all that but when i finished the step by step my cycle of doom started all over again

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp
So you follow the directions in the article above, using a RC disc you burned with your mac?

So anyway after a google search of the issue i found this site along with others dealin with the same or similar issues. From what i read it would seem to me that the antispyware messed up my registry somewhere and that my PC isnt completely FUBAR

Give me some of those sites.

If you suspect a problem with your registry the easiest thing to do would be a repair install. It is straightforward, but it needs a Windows CD.
http://www.aitechsol...inxpnoboot.html
This article gives you step by step instructions to do this manually.

Advertisements

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok well Ive developed SOME insight to the problem but im not quite home free yet. I got my hands on a unmodified windows start up cd and did the recovery install thing with it. This got me into my computer but like they say if it looks to good to be true.... Well i noticed that there was still some spyware on my computer and so i ran a malware removal tool. Also i want to mention that every time i tried to update ANY of my malware tools id get a message of some kind sayin i had a fire wall that was keeping them from updating.....i didnt. Anyway so i run the most updated tool i have it finds some stuff tells me to reboot and what do you know.....back at square one. Ok so i can get in windows every time with thr recovery install thing but how do i get back to normal?? Thx in advance

Edited by Gallager, 07 May 2009 - 10:23 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

most updated tool i have

What tool did you run and what did it fix?

recovery install thing with it.

What did you do to recover Windows? Restore the registry? Run a repair install?

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes to get into my window i ran a repair install. Once i got in i looked for a system restore point but didnt see one. So i went head and ran superantispyware which was the most recent tool i had. it found some trojans and some adware. I didnt make it a point to remember the names of them. So it did the quarantine and removal process and then upon restart i was right back to the same startup error i started with. If you know of a better tool then superantispyware id love to try it. If just feels like im so close yet so far away at the moment. With the repair install i can get in i just go back to square one once i restart

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Run another repair install in order to be able to boot into Windows again. When you boot into Windows, are there any errors or things out of the ordinary that prompted you to scan for malware?

Now that Windows is going fine, (I think) we can direct you to the Malware Forum for the techs there to clean you up.
Follow this guide before posting: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Post in the Malware Forum with the required logs discussed in the guide above.

Gallager

Gallager

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes i get several rundll errors as soon as i log in and i get popups for somethin called registry scan pro or something along those lines