Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VIA CPU to AGP Controller

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hopefully I am in the right forum.

I have been having this problem for a while and don't know how to fix it.

Whenever I start my computer, it says it has found new hardware. The name of it is VIA CPU to AGP Controller. It says that the file VIAAGPI.SYS on VIA ACP filter driver disk is needed and then it says something about PCI to PCI bridge.

It gives me a place to look, but when I click on it, it says it can't be found. I've looked on the internet, but I don't know what I'm doing so I can't really find it to fix it.

And and all help will be well appreciated.
Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://www.viaarena....I...&CatID=1070

Download and run Setup.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Sorry, but you need to a bit more specific. What is it you want me to download and run?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have the disk that came with your Motherboard?
This is what you need to have when it asks for the driver.
Put the disk in and then point it to the cd.
If it doesn't see it in the Root of the cd then you will have to look for the Directory on the disk that contains it.
By just clicking on each directory you will find the one that has the file in it. The file will appear on the left side in the window. When it does just click on it and then click OK

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I have the windows XP disk. Is that what you mean? I at one time tried to put it in and do it that way, but it didn't work. As for looking for something, I have no idea what your talking about. I didn't see anyplace to look for anything.

So I'm not quite understanding you. But I can stick the cd back in if you want me to.

BTW, I do have a cd that says mother board drivers (PCI) NIC Drivers. Is this what you are talking about? on the cd it has the following...

Chipset_driver
Onboard _audio_driver
USB_2_driver
NIC_CARD_DRIVER
Onboard_nc_driver

Edited by woodworks, 07 May 2009 - 11:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BTW, I do have a cd that says mother board drivers (PCI) NIC Drivers. Is this what you are talking about? on the cd it has the following...

Chipset_driver>>>>>>>>>>This is what you are looking for
Onboard _audio_driver
USB_2_driver
NIC_CARD_DRIVER
Onboard_nc_driver

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I hate to be a pain, but what do I do with it? I tried to get it go follow the F drive to the cd, but it says it can't be found. If I unzip it, where do I unzip it to?

And thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you start with rebooting and when it say's
" It says that the file VIAAGPI.SYS on VIA ACP filter driver disk is needed and then it says something about PCI to PCI bridge. It gives me a place to look"

Have it look at the cdrom drive and follow the steps I outlined. It should be able to install the driver then.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
No I didn't reboot at that time. I rebooted in order to get it to come up as 'found new hardware'. When I booted up with the cd in the player, it wanted me to boot up from the cd. Is it supposed to do that?

When it comes up to the browes, it won't follow the path I put in.

Here is what it looks like...

Well I was going to give you a picture, but it said it was too large.

Edited by woodworks, 07 May 2009 - 11:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do not boot with the disk in. When it boots up and gives you the error then put the disk in and browse to the cdrom drive to the directory for the chipset.

If this will not work then put the motherboard disk in and reinstall the chipset driver. Reboot and hopefully that will fix it then.

Before you do this please:

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please iclude those results

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please iclude those results

This is what started this whole mess in the first place. It had yellow and as I tried to fix it, it said to uninstall and reinstall. well now I'm here with you.

I did as you have asked already. It won't follow the path to the F drive where the cd is.

And the yellow question mark is under 'Other devices" Multimedia Audio Controller. Also below that further down, it has a yellow exclimation mark next to the PCI to PCI bridge

As I've said, I have done what you asked. It doesn't follow ANY path I put in there.

Edited by woodworks, 07 May 2009 - 12:32 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have 2 issues going then at the same time

Multimedia Audio Controller

and the
PCI to PCI bridge

Please let me know if there were any of the following prior to this issue starting

Software installed
Software Updated
Drivers updates
Downloads of any kind
Hardware updated
Hardware Installed

Please try to install the Chipset driver again and when it errors or won't let you change the path please take a screenshot and attach to your next reply.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 May 2009 - 12:46 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Here's a fast reply to part of your question...

Yes I had a problem with my audio. Many years ago I had to remove my motherboard. I was told that there were numbers on it that I needed in order to upgrade my memory. There are no numbers on it to identify it. After replacing it, I no longer had sound. No matter what I did, or what the 'help' said to do, it would not get any sound back. A few months ago, I was still trying to find a way to put sound back on and I found a place to d/l some kind of driver and it had sound on it. I can't tell you what it was, because I just looked down on the taskbar and I see it is no longer there.

Well it was a couple of months ago that I was looking in device manager and saw the yellow marks. I went through the trouble shooting and I did everything it said to do. The last it said to do was to uninstall and reinstall. Well as you have guessed by now, it didn't re-install.

Nothing else has been installed or updated. I was told you you folks not to update my drivers. I will go now and try and do the copy for you.

BTW, how do you want me to try and re-install the chipset? Maybe that is why I'm not having any luck at this. Where do I install it to?

Edited by woodworks, 07 May 2009 - 12:57 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
It says the file is too big to post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put the cd from the motherboard in. It should autorun
Then install the driver from there. If it doesn't give you the option to install just the chipset it may have a 4 in 1 installation.
The disk also has the onboard sound drivers on it.