Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0xc0000142 ntvdm.exe Error

• Please log in to reply

cldupuis

cldupuis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Looking for some insight. I start windows as usual. Welcome screen comes on fine, then all I see is my desktop background and then I have three command prompts flash across screen. Explorer will not come up, no icons on the desktop, no taskbar, nothing, just the command prompts. The three prompts are: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe ; C:\Windows\system32\command.com ; C:\Windows\system32\ntvdm.exe. Can't close them, they just alternate rapidly across the screen. I then start task manager and choose to restart or shutdown, then really fast the error message "Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142), application shutting down". From what I can see the window header is ntvdm.exe. I can restart in safe mode fine, no problems. Please if anyone has seen this before, steer me in some direction, because I am out of ideas.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
ntvdm.exe is the 16-bit Virtual Machine native to Windows. Judging by the 2 command prompts that pop up, you probably have something nasty running in the background.

Follow this guide here first: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

cldupuis

cldupuis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Now I aslo did a system restore back to April 29th, which the problem just started on May 5th. That still didnt help the situation either. Also tried booting to the last known good configuration. That didnt help either.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Could be malware related.
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
Follow this guide and post the required logs in the malware forum.