Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS update problem

• Please log in to reply

EZ33Tzapha

EZ33Tzapha

• Pip
  • 0 posts
I have an old Gateway computer that still works well. Specs: Pentium 3, 550MHz, 328MB RAM, XP Home. I recently got a BIOS update recommended by Gateway but it will not load on my computer. I had "lifetime" support from Gateway but was told when I called them that "lifetime" is 5 years. My system will be 10 in August. Therefore I cannot troubleshoot why the BIOS files won't load. I was told that this could be caused by a virus (?) however, I have Norton Systemworks antivirus protection and use Windows firewall with no exceptions allowed. There have been no virus detections made.

My computer takes forever to boot on startup and is slow to run applications. I have RegCure, and Ad-Aware AE which I run regularly. I also do defragging and Win Doctor regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with these problems?

Oh, and hello everyone. Nice to be here!

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I'm not sure about your BIOS problem(one of the more knowledgeable people here will have to help you), but I do recommend that you use a different firewall. Windows Firewall isn't good from what I have heard. I use ZoneAlarm free edition. Here are some links to more firewalls, scroll down and they are near the bottom.

So sorry I couldn't be of any more help than that. :)

Edited by Cold Titanium, 08 May 2009 - 06:41 PM.