Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acebot Trojan Dr Watson Debugger

• Please log in to reply

Aeris_Gainsborough

Aeris_Gainsborough

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I notice quite a few topics on this, but I'm desperate at this point. I posted in Malware and Spyware about a error I keep receiving. At start up I get (not all the time but I would say 9/10 times I start up) a warning pop saying Dr. Watson Debugger Postmortem has a error and needs to shut down, at first when I click to "send report" the computer froze up, and when I opted "don't send" it would freeze up also. It will not unfreeze the computer unless I pull up task manager and end drwtsn32.exe and then the computer resumes to be normal. A trusted staff was very kind to guide me through in checking the status of my computer because I thought it may be a malware, but he believes it is an event error and has something to do with an error with my operating system. But when i read other cases of people who had the same case, it came down to this Acebot Trojan...now i'm so confused. I'm told my computer is fine, my spyware scanner says everything is fine, my virus scanner says everything is fine...then what is causing this error? i would think it was a acebot trojan from its behavior but it appears...that is not the case? help!!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does this happen in safe mode too?
Go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow

If it prompts you for a Windows CD, then pop one in.
If you don't have a CD, then follow the steps in this guide: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Have the techs given you a clean bill of health on the Malware Forum?

Aeris_Gainsborough

Aeris_Gainsborough

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey thanks for the reply. I haven't tried running the computer under safe mode, and I shall do the scan after I locate my cd.

I believe my computer was said to be in good health, the person who helped me in the malware forum, he kept asking me 'how is your pc running now?' and I replied that the problem hasn't been resolved, and we went through some scanning and logs, then he finally suggested that it is an event error and that I should move this topic to XP for help. Now...at this point, I'm not sure what to take this problem as. =/ I did some google search and I found loads of people with the same problem, and they pinned it a Acebot Trojan.

Also there was someone on a different forum that posted exactly the same problem as me, earlier to this problem, I had a very bad case of spyware on my pc which disabled my pc properties, and locked my wall paper as a virus scan ad, and the quick tools menu had a red shield with a white x that says "Your computer is at risk! Please Scan for Viruses now!" and I followed some steps to get it removed, and miraculously it seemed to work fine, then the day after I "cured" the spyware the Dr. Watson error popped up for the first time and it has since then. Sorry for the long story. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The scan may fix it. Try using the workaround for when you don't have the CD. Just run the scan.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What about disabling Dr. Watson altogether? It's more, or less useless anyway.

1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

NOTE: Steps three and four are optional, but they necessary if you want to restore the default use of Dr. Watson.

3.Click the AeDebug key, and then click Export Registry File on the Registry menu.

4.Enter a name and location for the saved registry file, and then click Save.

5.Delete the AeDebug key.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

more, or less useless anyway.

True, but could there be an underlying problem? (to Broni)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Possible.
sfc won't hurt :)