Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Presario SR5501P Upgrading Help

• Please log in to reply

EldonM

EldonM

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

:) Hey people!! :)

Just recently purchased a Presario SR5501P desktop. Well in all so far it is pretty decent but it is in need of some decent upgrades. For the most part I can do most of the work, but one thing I've never dealt with (but now since I got a decent computer) has been the power supply.

To put it in short I am asking 2 things.

1. What power supply do I need to purchase as in size, specs, watts, volts, etc...
I know I want at minimum of 350w power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps to run a video card I recently purchased. Here is a look. So I need one that will fit into my computer and be able to power that and the rest of my computer. Link would be helpful if not at least power supply specs so I could do my own search.

Video Card Website
Posted Image

2. Do I need to know anything special about installing the power supply before I fry myself or my computer? Cords? Pins? Ribbons? Connectors? Does my processor matter which power supply i get? Any info would help.

Right now it is currently running with a ATX-250/12Z assuming it means 250w and 12v.

Well If you need more info if this isn't detailed enough please reply asking what you need to know. Thank you. :)

UPDATE

Is this compatible with my computer?
Possible Candidate

UPDATE

Well gonna put as much info I can about the current power supply.

Model: ATX-250-12Z REV: D7R
Input: 100-127V-6A, 200-240V-3A 50/60Hz
lll lll ll llll lllll lllllllll l llll lllll lll llllllll lll lll llllll ll ll ll llllll
Output: +12v/+14A, -12V/.8A
250W MAX +5V/25A, +5VSB/2A
+3.3V/15A,
+5V & +3.3V 165W MAX, +5V & +12V 218W MAX
lll lll ll llll lllll lllllllll l llll lllll lll llllllll lll lll llllll ll ll ll llllll
S/N: 0806S0031905

This is almost exactly how the label is written. Even the fake bar codes lol.

Edited by EldonM, 07 May 2009 - 05:52 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Presario SR5501P uses an AM2 board which is on an nForce 430 chipset and it's running a 4200+ processor with 1Gb of DDR2.

As that model comes with Vista the best thing you can do is feed it more memory before you do anything else. Vista in 1Gb of memory is painful especially with the overheads that virus scanners and what not use.

With regards to the power supply, your best bet is to see what's in there already. Here's a HP guide to get at the thing to read the labels, there should be more details on it than 250w and 12v:
http://h10025.www1.h...n...137&lang=en

As to question 2 - the answer to life, the universe and everything (which by the way is 42) might be interesting but is not needed with regards to your power supply :)

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 May 2009 - 05:04 PM.

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Awesome!!
Thank you, Neil, for answering question 2 with that link in question 1. Just wasn't sure if anything special was needed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this system still under Warranty?
If so and you open the case you will void your warranty. I didn't see how long you have had the system but make sure before doing anything

EldonM

EldonM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No Warranty