Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden mouse/driver/bsod problems

• Please log in to reply

hirow

hirow

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Last night I was using my computer just fine. I went to sleep and woke up hours later to turn on the PC and find my mouse stopped working. I plugged in my pen tablet to use it as a mouse instead, and noticed the tablet driver stopped functioning too (I can still use it as a mouse, but it doesn't work as well without the driver). I then tried to connect to the internet to diagnose the problem, but the net isn't working. I restarted my router and modem, but no progress. The other PCs in my house can connect just fine (I'm typing this from my laptop). I don't remember installing anything new in particular. I ran scans with RegCure, Avast!, and SuperAntiSpyware and removed some random errors but none of the problems I listed seem to be fixed. For some reason I didn't have any system restore points to roll back to. I've tried disabling everything that comes up during startup through msconfig. I've logged into other user accounts and they have the same problems. I'm completely stumped on what could have caused this. I will post a hijackthis log if necessary.

Also, when I ran scans with SuperAntiSpyware after a while I will blue screen with the following error:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE3FC8000, 0x00000001, 0x80640199, 0x00000001)

Sometimes it'll mention win32k.sys as well.

I will appreciate it greatly if anyone can help me resolve this, I have no idea what could possibly be wrong.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Since you mention a BSOD, go to the directory C:\Windows\Minidump
Make sure that you can see hidden files.
Zip up the files in the minidump directory, and attach it to your next post.

So the problems here are:
Mouse not working
Tablet driver not working
Internet not working
BSOD with Superantispyware

Am I correct, or are there any more problems?
Give the model and make of your computer.
Also provide an Everest Report. Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig and follow the instructions.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, those are the problems I've listed so far. I'm afraid there's more though.

I got Everest home edition from your sig and put it into a USB drive to transfer to my PC, but the PC didn't read my USB drive. It seems none of my drivers are working. I clicked on Add Hardware from my control panel but nothing happened. I decided to go into the device manager by right clicking my computer, and found that there was NOTHING listed in my device manager. I clicked scan for hardware changes, but nothing.

What could this mean?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

What could this mean?

We can't tell what the problem is yet.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;311504
Try the fix in that article.

Might want to run a quick RAM test to clear that as a problem.
Click on "Memtest Instructions" in my sig, and follow the instructions to test your RAM for problems.

Do you have your Windows CD?

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the link, the device manager and my USB seems to be working now, but none of the other problems were resolved.

Attatched are the Everest report and minidump files. I'm pretty sure I still have my XP disc somewhere, I'll look for it just in case. If possible I'd like to avoid a reformat.

Attached Files

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So now you can see all of your devices in device manager?
This will most likely not require a reformat.

Disk free space is only 3% on drive C:.
This appears as a problem on drive C:. Click on Start -> Run -> cleanmgr
After the scan is done, go to the "More Options" tab and clean up system restore. Also delete unnecessary programs.

Run memtest as I mentioned in my previous post.

We might need to do a repair of XP, which will retain all your files and programs.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Wow, this is not good.

I was running cleanmgr before I left the house, and found the PC was off when I got home. I turned on the PC to find a black screen saying windows is corrupted, and needs to be repaired. I popped in the XP disc and booted from the CD, and when it asks me to push enter to begin, I get this blue screen:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC2F18000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I can't even log into the recovery console. When it prompts me to select the windows installation to log into, I press 1, and it'll BSOD.

I'm searching for answers but could really use some guidance... this is extremely frustrating - now I can't even log in.

Edited by hirow, 08 May 2009 - 02:40 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error is often caused by bad RAM, BAD_POOL_CALLER is often caused by bad hard drive.
You better test both...
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Run memtest: http://www.techspot....topic62524.html

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've replaced the RAM since those errors in the minidump, so RAM shouldn't be the main issue (hopefully). How would I run the diagnostics if I can't log into windows though? Could I put it in a USB drive and boot it from there?

Also, if the Hard drive is the problem could I retrieve the data in there or would I have to reformat/replace the hard drive?

I'm hoping the problem is just that the XP CD is too old. It's quite scratched up so I want to try a new one and see if it works.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Hard drive diagnostic tool will create bootable CD, or floppy (depending on program).

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You have a Seagate drive, as shown by your Everest Report.
http://www.seagate.c...ols/seatooldreg
Go there and download a ISO CD image file for the language you want.
You can use BurnCDCC or Imgburn to burn the image file to your CD.

http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm
http://www.imgburn.com/

Read this for a tutorial on how to use Seatools for DOS: http://seagate.custk...sp?DocId=201271
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've replaced the RAM since those errors in the minidump, so RAM shouldn't be the main issue (hopefully). How would I run the diagnostics if I can't log into windows though? Could I put it in a USB drive and boot it from there?

You should use Memtest to test your RAM just in case. It boots from a CD, just like the hard drive diagnostic above. To get instructions, click on "Memtest Instructions" in my sig and follow the instructions.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, if the Hard drive is the problem could I retrieve the data in there or would I have to reformat/replace the hard drive?

Unless this is a physical problem with your hard drive, you can recover the data by yourself. Just click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the instructions there. If this is a physical problem, and you don't want a data recovery company to recover your data, you can go here: http://www.myharddri...whitepaper.html
And read it through.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks Broni and edge. I'm having my friend burn me a copy of XP, memtest and the hard drive diagnostic.

A question on XP though. I think I was using Windows XP pro, but if I try to use one of those other versions (like windows xp black pro edition, windows xp corporate edition, etc) will I still be able to repair my XP from it, or will I have to fresh install? If I do fresh install XP, will I be able to retain my files? I'm pretty sure my friend is giving me windows xp pro SP3, but I just want to make sure.

I really appreciate the help guys. Most of my friends know even less about PCs than me so it really helps.

Edited by hirow, 08 May 2009 - 11:16 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

If I do fresh install XP, will I be able to retain my files?

A fresh install would require reformatting the hard drive, and thus all your files would be deleted.

A XP repair may not fix this problem, as it may be hardware related. First run all the diagnostics to make sure that the problem here is not hardware related.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Alright, I'll be sure to run the diagnostics first. Will I be able to use the other xp versions to repair it though? Like windows xp pro black edition, which seems to be really popular.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I think Black Edition should work for a repair but I am not so sure.