Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard wired internet connections

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I have Verizon FIOS.

Because of wireless interference and other reasons the computer in my home office and one in one of the bedrooms is hard wired into the router.

I need to hard wire another computer in another bedroom. It is nearly impossible to run a wire from this second bedroom to the router. Can I run a wire from the second bedroom through a wall and splice it into the wire that currently hooks up to the internet jack in the first bedroom. In other words, can I run internet connection in series.

Thanks

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hey there jsaklas, :)

Nope. Ethernet connections cannot be run in series. They rely on 1 cable from device to device, unlike a phone cord which can be spliced many times. However, you could purchase a small mini-switch, like a 5 port Linksys switch or something like it, and stick it in the first bedroom. You would connect the wire from the router into one of the ports on this switch. Then connect the machine in that bedroom to another port on that switch. And finally, you would run a third wire to the machine in the second bedroom and connect it to one of the remaining ports on that switch. This will allow all machine to be hooked up. You can find mini-switches, like the Linksys that I mentioned above, for around $20 or so. If speed is really important to you and the router supports gigabit Ethernet, then you can find a 5-port gigabit switch for around $40. Either way, make sure you get a name brand like Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, etc. and not some off-brand. This way you know that you are getting something reliable. We use the Linksys ones when needed for all our clients, so I know they work well.

Let me know if you need more help. :)

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
SongCloud,

Thanks much. I will try to do this, this weekend.